Topic: Blacksmith orders viewed on the map  (Read 6164 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: May 18, 2023, 05:25:13 PM »
Release of 3.80 stable is just around the corner, and some very sweet features are awaiting us there.
There are still some sweaty days ahead, but hopefully it's all wrapped up the next week.

Let this screenshot reveal one of the final touches.

- Sami | UnReal World creator

PALU

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »
A definite improvement of the feedback, but I'd rather know when it's supposed to be ready, as you'd otherwise still have to remember how long this particular item takes to make (and I suspect there's some weird truncation going on here, as I'm fairly sure I timed a two week job to return after two weeks and one day, and still had to waste another one - two days waiting around doing nothing, or spend the same time going home and then back again).

Erkka

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 08:57:51 AM »
I suspect there's some weird truncation going on here

Hehe, personally I see it the other way around - in a pre-modern world they didn't have a clock, not a digital calendar, not this constantly ticking sense of a tight schedule with booked events and deadlines. When I imagine a pre-modern artisan estimating how long it would take to produce an item, they surely won't even bother trying to calculate if it would be exactly 16 or 13 or 18 days , but just round it to "something like two weeks, plus minus a few days" which then just is expressed in the short-hand format of "two weeks", since in such a pre-modern society everyone knows that estimated times are estimated times and anything beyond two or three days can't be measured precisely, so it just normal to idle around for a few days waiting to see if that "two weeks" meant 16 or 18 days.

What is weird is our contemporary willingness to fit ourselves into such rigid timetables, and then feeling uneasy if things don't happen exactly on the minute they were announced to happen.

But, sure, I also think it might be helpful to display some rough estimate of "will be ready after a week or so". Or, just to add "It was said to take two weeks, and the order was placed 8 days ago", leaving some calculation for the player to do. Let's see how Sami decides to code it =)
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

PALU

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 10:05:01 AM »
I certainly think it would be an improvement to word things in a manner that makes it clear the estimate is approximate rather than a fixed one.

While they don't have clocks, the UrW characters are still subject to time limits in the form of checking traps and nets, hides, and, in particular, feeding the sauna stove when smoking meat. The last one is a task that locks the character up for weeks with limited wriggling room. Traps also result in planning interruptions when something gets caught and has to be processed (potentially resulting in getting locked up in the smoking cycle).