Topic: [3.72 p#1] Sauna Stove not an Oven for baking  (Read 7453 times)

Brygun

« on: May 13, 2023, 11:54:01 AM »
Soo.. tad odd...

the Sauna Stove rather than a fireplace... counts as suitable for [boil] but not for [bake]

Showed trying to make a Meat Stew which has [bake] commands. The Meat Soup using [boil] was fine.

Im not sure if thats intended or not.

That it is called a Sauna >Stove< had me thinking it was all purpose thus could bake as well.

If its intended cabins need both a fireplace and sauna after all.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 05:21:01 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 01:35:39 PM »
I've always operated according to the assumption that a sauna and a cabin for living are two different things, so I make a sauna building where smoking and sauna baths are dealt with, and a building for actually living in.

The sauna is a small building according to my blueprints (the stove and a table to sit on (that also doubles as a surface for hide working), although a larger building that also allows for a bench to provide for two different levels to sit on for different amounts of heat is also an option).

You don't want to have the building you live in filled with smoke, so you couldn't realistically use the same building for smoking and living in (on the other hand you probably can't really smoke food and take a sauna bath at the same time either).

A sauna stove tends to consist of a large metal container (or built from stones) containing a lot of stones inside to act as a store for retained heat. A normal stove would have an oven instead of the stones in that section above the fire (and there would be additional differences as well, to allow the sauna stove to either lead the smoke out of the building or lead it into it, depending on whether you wanted to take a bath or smoke food, although that might just be a standard function to block of the chimney/hole in the roof to switch between letting the smoke out and retaining the warm air inside).

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 07:56:49 AM »
Sauna stove (in 3.80Beta) works as baking suitable cooker/stove/oven for vanilla meat stew and porridge. I’m pretty sure my characters have made stews in all previous versions.
This might be mod related, possibly game side bug though.
But it’s not sauna stove not working as valid [bake] oven.

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 04:20:38 PM »
im not using the Beta so im on 3.72 patch #1

Stews are I think [boil] command not [bake]. I suspect porridge is too.

Can you try something that uses [bake]?

From what i see flatbread is [roast] so wouldnt be testing that

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 04:32:39 PM »
Stews require heated fireplace with embers. Live flames won’t allow you to stew meat.

I’ll add a [bake] recipe and see what comes.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 11:26:45 PM by JP_Finn »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 05:19:26 PM »
No bugs here, just some confusion, I think.
And also, reporting older version issues isn't worthwhile because we naturally only work on the current version.

Roasting and boiling actually require a fire - but not necessarily a fireplace/stove around it.
So these will work wherever there is fire burning - be it open fire, or sauna stove or cottage fireplace.

Now sauna stove and cottage fireplace are indeed different kind of constructions. The latter is designed for food preparation in mind.
But still, I'm fairly sure you can also bake in the sauna stove but you need to take care that it's warmed up and there's no fire burning anymore.
If there's fire burning, even in the cottage fireplace, it doesn't count a place for baking. Try and see.

But if it's so that you really can't bake anything in sauna stove, that's even better. :)
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Brygun

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 07:13:06 AM »
Well to be fair 3.71 p#1 is the current version on steam. Just not the Beta version, which may have the same issues. Of course the fixes won't show up until the next update. Happy to once again be playing and modding this game.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 08:44:10 AM »
Well to be fair 3.71 p#1 is the current version on steam. Just not the Beta version, which may have the same issues. Of course the fixes won't show up until the next update. Happy to once again be playing and modding this game.

Ah, that's true with the versions, we're coding in the future ;)

I tested with 3.72 and baking in sauna oven works too - after the fire has burned out.
Did you try it like so, that there's no fire burning?
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Brygun

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 12:54:17 AM »
Thanks for the fix

no, hadn't thought of that. Been off unreal for a long time and back now. Character in question also had a fireplace so I just used that but it may simply have been he was accidentally doing it right. Over night fire in the fireplace, waking up with the "burned out" but not active fire in it from that. Then baking worked (for the fireplace).

anything