Topic: Injured Adventurer  (Read 3867 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: April 27, 2023, 03:12:59 PM »
They directed me to a shelter, and I'm in the area indicated on the map, does the shelter show the shelter icon when it's in the visible range? Or do I have to stumble around blind looking for it in a massive area? :-\

Tinker

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 03:46:39 PM »
It will not appear on the map until you find it. Normally it is near the centre of the circle and you need to narrow the options by reading the description, east of this sort of land north of some other sort or whatever it said. Then look for a few bloodscape tiles, then you know you are on the right area.
If you need to search in thick forest give up before you waste a day pointlessly searching.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 03:54:54 PM »
It will not appear on the map until you find it. Normally it is near the centre of the circle and you need to narrow the options by reading the description, east of this sort of land north of some other sort or whatever it said. Then look for a few bloodscape tiles, then you know you are on the right area.
If you need to search in thick forest give up before you waste a day pointlessly searching.

So it tells me this:
"It was in the south-east from here, just a couple of miles away. I remember building my shelter at border location of coniferous forest area right next to heathland in the south."

Map: https://imgur.com/a/kyAvLqL

It's just to the southeast of my character the area to search in the first image, south centre in the second. I see only forest and mire, nothing described as heathland. I can't find a wolf in the area, which is what he said he fought, only a bear which seems to have nothing to find in the area. Haven't found any tracks, or blood, my tracking is like 90% so I should see it in theory. I've been searching for days!

PALU

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 04:27:04 PM »
I can't identify terrain with any certainty unless it's visible (i.e. lit up, but not the grey scale memory). I can see some heath and I can see something that's coniferous, but I'm always uncertain about whether it's forest or mire in that case. I use the looking function to identify the terrain of locations of interest.

Given how few heath locations there are, it ought to be fairly easy to look at each of them and find the ones that have coniferous forest to the north of them (where the shelter should  actually be) and walk into those few tiles from the heath tiles (you might even walk to each heath tile regardless, given how few there are). I've never had any trouble finding the blood scapes by walking through a tile they're present in (zooming in and then out can easily miss them in coniferous tree infested terrain).

In order to actually see each heath terrain tile and identify it and its norther partner may require you to walk there to get close enough to see them on the overmap.

Also, the F6 map is crucial to identify which terrain is within the search area rather than outside of it.

Another search method is to just walk across the overmap from each side to the other in a line, shift the line one step, and repeat until the whole area is covered, identifying the terrain of every tile that might be of interest (and its partner to the north/south), zooming in only on the tiles that are actually of the right type (and I would recommend zooming in on the heath tile and walk to the coniferous tile in order to reduce the risk of zooming in too close to the animal and risk triggering an immediate attack).

GrimmSpector

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 04:31:58 PM »
I can't identify terrain with any certainty unless it's visible (i.e. lit up, but not the grey scale memory). I can see some heath and I can see something that's coniferous, but I'm always uncertain about whether it's forest or mire in that case. I use the looking function to identify the terrain of locations of interest.

Given how few heath locations there are, it ought to be fairly easy to look at each of them and find the ones that have coniferous forest to the north of them (where the shelter should  actually be) and walk into those few tiles from the heath tiles (you might even walk to each heath tile regardless, given how few there are). I've never had any trouble finding the blood scapes by walking through a tile they're present in (zooming in and then out can easily miss them in coniferous tree infested terrain).

In order to actually see each heath terrain tile and identify it and its norther partner may require you to walk there to get close enough to see them on the overmap.

Also, the F6 map is crucial to identify which terrain is within the search area rather than outside of it.

Another search method is to just walk across the overmap from each side to the other in a line, shift the line one step, and repeat until the whole area is covered, identifying the terrain of every tile that might be of interest (and its partner to the north/south), zooming in only on the tiles that are actually of the right type (and I would recommend zooming in on the heath tile and walk to the coniferous tile in order to reduce the risk of zooming in too close to the animal and risk triggering an immediate attack).

I added the F6 view from the second position to that same link.

Where is the heath you're talking about? All I see are mires and forests. Even when I've used L to look at them they say mires. So I'm very confused here.

Brygun

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 06:09:39 PM »
Pattern searches are your friend.

Some that work well for this is:

= Handrail
Find the edge of the matching terrain description and move along it.
Shelter won't appear until encountered until met on the normal zoomed in map.
If on the zoomed out map you can use Alt-T to look for tracks, which can work if they said an animal like a bear was involved.
You can also hand rail zoomed in by manually walking along with the occasional alt-T. Blood scrapes can be spotted zoomed in.

= Spoke searches
Think of a wagon wheel with the hub at the center with spokes going out to the large rim.
Start at point of interest like spotted tracks or a guess your in the right spot or the center of the quest marked area.
It can be helpful to put a marker in place to mark the hub. On the zoomed in map stacks of 3 branches, 3 rocks etc as 3 uncommon in nature. On the zoomed out you can put a map marker down or build a shelter.
Move in a direction away from your hub to make the first spoke. Then move in the rim's circle in one direction. Return to the hub.
Shift your angle a little go out again go out again to the rim distance. Try to use the same distance. Circle again and come back as needed.
Once you complete a circle repeat with a wider circle.
If you find some evidence then use that as the new center of search remembering to put down a new marker.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 09:48:43 AM »
It seems on of your problems is that you don't (yet) recognize what heath looks like. If you look at your first image, I believe the tile about 7 tiles to the east is heath (trees on a yellowish ground cover).

In the same image you have a lake, and to the west of the lake you have a couple of hills with three tiles of heath surrounding them.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 04:51:19 PM »
It seems on of your problems is that you don't (yet) recognize what heath looks like. If you look at your first image, I believe the tile about 7 tiles to the east is heath (trees on a yellowish ground cover).

In the same image you have a lake, and to the west of the lake you have a couple of hills with three tiles of heath surrounding them.

Yup, the heath description on the wiki did NOT help me here lol, thank you, that helped a lot. I eventually found it. Have no clue where the treasure he promised is, but hey lol I did the quest and that was nice.

Tinker

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 05:17:54 PM »
If he offered you a treasure trove then you need to give the item he asked for, usually it is in the shelter with other stuff you can keep, he will then give you the location of the treasure. He may have offered you some other reward which you will get after returning his spear or whatever, it is your choice to keep his utem or return it.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 02:46:28 AM »
If he offered you a treasure trove then you need to give the item he asked for, usually it is in the shelter with other stuff you can keep, he will then give you the location of the treasure. He may have offered you some other reward which you will get after returning his spear or whatever, it is your choice to keep his utem or return it.

Yeah I know, I already got him his thing, I just haven't found the location he said the treasure was yet.