UnReal World > Gameplay questions

Snares need yarn now?!

(1/4) > >>

GrimmSpector:
Using 3.80 ... why the heck do I need YARN for snares? Snares should be trivially easy to make, but I have to wait until I'm in a season where I can harvest and then ret plants and have access to them to spin yarn to make a snare? Instead of using a withe, or some birch bark cord ... or some leather? What the heck!

Galgana:
Yarn is really cheap to trade for in villages. 1 squirrel hide can get you 150 feet of yarn, which can provide you with 25 snares for trapping.
Or you can trade those snares to get even more yarn.

To put things into perspective, 135 feet of yarn is required to make 1 cord.

PALU:
I don't think you'd be able to make a snare from withes, as that's just a somewhat flexible twig without any ability to make a slide knot.
As for leather, I would guess a leather cord might be too thick and stiff to really function well as a snare. Birch bark similarly isn't supple enough to make a suitable string (I'd guess it might be similar to trying to make a snare out of cardboard).

The lightest lever trap is aimed at the same game as the snare and doesn't use anything you can't just collect by spending efforts searching the surroundings (although twigs can also be harvested without tools).

It can also be noted that the behavior was the same in 3.72.2 (and probably was introduced when yarn was introduced).

GrimmSpector:

--- Quote from: PALU on April 26, 2023, 09:52:36 AM ---I don't think you'd be able to make a snare from withes, as that's just a somewhat flexible twig without any ability to make a slide knot.
As for leather, I would guess a leather cord might be too thick and stiff to really function well as a snare. Birch bark similarly isn't supple enough to make a suitable string (I'd guess it might be similar to trying to make a snare out of cardboard).

The lightest lever trap is aimed at the same game as the snare and doesn't use anything you can't just collect by spending efforts searching the surroundings (although twigs can also be harvested without tools).

It can also be noted that the behavior was the same in 3.72.2 (and probably was introduced when yarn was introduced).

--- End quote ---

Birds can get caught by a light lever trap?

I have no bait for birds sadly, and I haven't seen much other wildlife where I am :-\ too early to forage wild plants as I started in spring, and am only 15 days in, and short on food.

Bert Preast:
Light lever traps can catch birds, hares, foxes and other small game.  They are cheap and easy to build, and usually work best on the shores of a lake where there are lots of birds around.  I also put them on berries or plants that are close to ripening, so there's no need for bait.

If you're in spring and hungry; and from your other posts not much use at fishing, you need to either make things to trade for food, or hunt game.  Trapping birds will likely just make you starve a little more slowly - there's not much meat on a raven!     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version