Topic: Speeding squirrels  (Read 2125 times)

Tinker

« on: February 22, 2023, 02:22:33 PM »
Squirrels are quick little beggars, irl and in game. This is not a problem as they are also stupid and trap themselves in trees.

I recently had one in my homestead, up a tree. I tried an arrow, nit expecting to hit but I hit its left arm and was stuck there, I threw a few rocks and managed to knock it out of the tree and broke its left leg, it was however on the wrong side if a clump of trees so I needed to walk around the trees to finish it off. I tool one step and it crawled away 5 squares, I was still blocked but tried throwng something to slow it down, I missed and it was then another 5 squares away. Inspecting it shows a puncture in the left arm, a broken leg leg and a minor bruise, but it could crawl 5 times faster than I could walk, it did not try to climb a tree but two turns later it had gone. I could zoom out with the message 'there is activity going on here.'
A couple of days later it turned up again, but was right at the edge of my vision, I attempted a long shot and it fled, it did not try to climb a tree. It returned again a few days later, ut still had a arrow in its arm but the broken leg had healed, that did not help it as it was close enough for a northern spear to drop it in one go.
It seems to be a bug that have two limbs seriously injured does not affect it speed, it only seems to prevent it from climbing trees. The few other animals I have actively hunted do seem to slow down as the injuries mount.
Another bug is that in five days a squirrel, with no bandages or splints, but perhaps access to herbs, can cure a broken leg. I had one in game last year and it took weeks to repair, irl it could take months. This seems to be a 'feature' for all animals, I recently had an elk serious wounded with an arrow and a broadhead arrow, I could follow the bloodscape trail easily until I lost it some thick forest but three day later I saw it again, it was the same elk as it had the arrows still but was now completely healed.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 03:30:25 PM »
I tried chasing and hurting the squirrels to see how it works, and it truly seems there's something to tweak. To me they also sometimes appeared too fast considering their condition.
The squirrel movement is prone to same injury related checks than all the creatures, and those seem to work. But it appears their initial movement rates may be too high, so that they remain super fast even when injured.

However, with my tests the squirrels that were labeled "crippled" slowed down to extent where I could easily walk to reach them.
Will run some more tests with "crawling" state squirrels.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

PALU

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 04:58:27 PM »
Some random sort of related observations:

I've had a couple of recent squirrel hunts where they were no longer able to climb, and thus had to remain on the ground. In most cases they were easily caught up to, but I had one case where I had to chase it (walking) for a fair while before it tired enough to allow me to catch up. It wasn't in a spruce forest, so it was possible to keep it in view sufficiently to chase it down.

Thus, I haven't seen Tinker's level of speeding squirrels, but fairly fast ones.

anything