Topic: Knives weights  (Read 1778 times)

Tinker

« on: December 30, 2022, 12:41:22 PM »
Is the wiki info incorrect about the weight of knives? I could not see anything in the news.txt that suggests weight were changed.

Most knives are listed in the wiki as being one or two pounds, the knives I have are between 110 gm and 140 gm which would be about 0.2 pounds. Could this be a conversion to metric error? These weight are for vanilla game knives as well as mod produced ones, a mod produced broad knife uses 400 grams of iron plus the handle but only weight 140 gm when finished as it takes the statistics of the vanilla broad knife.

rudy

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 04:25:54 AM »
The wiki is incorrect about a LOT, due to infrequent updating. It's fan maintained.

Knives are in the 0.25 to 0.4 pound rangeother than the Skramasaksi (a combat knife) which is 1.2 pounds.

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 10:11:42 AM »
Thanks, your numbers seem in line with my thoughts. This leads to another question. Using BAC a one pound iron bloom makes three wrought billets each of half a pound, so more out than in. Small knife blades need an iron billet to make a knife of 0.2 pounds so a lot of iron loss, large blades use double and weigh double and adding a handle to make a knife seems to round the weight down.