Topic: [Fixed - persists in 3.72] 3.72beta Annoying clicking sound  (Read 5618 times)

weakend2k13

« on: November 17, 2022, 11:00:36 PM »
Running 3.72beta on steam and on windows 8.1

Every more or less 10 seconds there's a very short pulse of sound making a clicking noise. It seems regular and although it's not very loud it gets annoying really fast. This error does not occcur on the stable version of the game.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 05:13:34 PM by Sami »

Tinker

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 10:08:43 AM »
I can confirm there is a strange cyclic background sound with 3.72 beta from itch.io on linux, it is only present while runnig the game npt on the main menus screens.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 11:42:52 AM »
This leaves me a bit puzzled as there are no changes to sound thingies in 3.72beta.
There are new SDL libraries, though, but

Does it happen in any particular situation...when the character is moving etc.?
Does it keep sounding if you leave the character idle and do nothing? Hands of the keyboard and just let the game main screen be there. 
Can you record this for us to hear?
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Tinker

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 01:33:33 PM »
The noise I heard is now different, I needed to have the volume in game and on my headset at maximum to hear the noise and it is now hardly perceptible, the constant cycling noise seems to have stopped after I updated several library files. There is a small amount of soft white noise after some sounds play but at normal volumes this is not noticable.

weakend2k13

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 09:40:04 PM »
In my case the sound begins right when I enter the game world (when I see my character on the map). I don't have to move my character or even press any buttons for the sound to begin. I noticed however that it only exists while I'm in the game world or in menus without any other sounds and it is not present in menus with music or other sounds. In other words it only exists when there are no other sounds present. I recorded this misterious sound and I'm sending the file in the attachment.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 03:19:14 PM »
This has to have to do something how the background ambience sample is being played. There's no completely silence, but a soft humming ambience constantly in the background.
It's "ambience.ogg" sample in audio/ folder, if you want to check it out.

As the issue changed with Tinker updating library files is refers to problems in playing that sample in SDL or SDL_mixer libraries.

weakend2k13's sample has got a quite disturbing crack, which I can't explain in any way. It's cycle doesn't meet eg. the duration of the ambience sample.

What both of you could try though, would be to simply delete ambience.ogg from audio/ folder and see if it makes a difference.
The game will notify of ambience.ogg loading problem upon start, press a key and it continues.

In any case, there are no code changes to audio handling from our behalf, so this points to system/SDL2/SDL_mixer oddities.
And as the reports of it are this little it's also likely a very rare oddity, which is difficult to exactly pinpoint or remedy.

waronmars

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 12:02:50 PM »
I am not getting the clicking but I do get a weird buzzing at the end of the 'make fire' sound, and the 'tree falling' sound is muffled and distant sounding. I am playing the 3.72 release on Windows 10.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 08:35:35 PM »
I am not getting the clicking but I do get a weird buzzing at the end of the 'make fire' sound, and the 'tree falling' sound is muffled and distant sounding. I am playing the 3.72 release on Windows 10.

And are the sounds now different compared to what it was in the previous versions?

Kegozen

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 10:09:58 AM »

And are the sounds now different compared to what it was in the previous versions?

I am getting a different sound as well. Generic crafting "whack" (like tool against wood) is very muffled, like it was downsampled.

I found "axework.ogg" in the files and it sounds fine when I play it through VLC. Also verified files through Steam.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 10:15:49 AM by Kegozen »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 10:51:37 AM »

I am getting a different sound as well. Generic crafting "whack" (like tool against wood) is very muffled, like it was downsampled.

I found "axework.ogg" in the files and it sounds fine when I play it through VLC. Also verified files through Steam.

Okay, thanks for this follow-up. What is your operating system?
And also, what's the type/model of your soundcard? (Others who have these problem, feel free to also report your soundcard)

There are no changes to audio files, so they should be all fine, but with the update of SDL comes an update to audio interface as well, so that's must be the reason for these oddities. It's likely rather rare os/soundcard/fileformat combination which we have to figure out.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 04:07:56 PM »
Yay, I managed to find Windows 11 laptop where I get the sound problems occurring.
For example the fire sample, and axework sample sound similarly corrupt as reported here.
I'll start audio format checks, and you ppl care to report here any sounds that doesn't play right for you that make my job a bit easier.

Kegozen

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 05:18:46 AM »

Okay, thanks for this follow-up. What is your operating system?
And also, what's the type/model of your soundcard? (Others who have these problem, feel free to also report your soundcard)

There are no changes to audio files, so they should be all fine, but with the update of SDL comes an update to audio interface as well, so that's must be the reason for these oddities. It's likely rather rare os/soundcard/fileformat combination which we have to figure out.

Windows 10, latest stable version.

I run audio through Realtek driver built into Asus motherboard.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 09:04:45 AM »
There's 3.72 patch #1 available for Windows, and as we've heard not further reports about the sound issues with it we're quite confirmed it's fixed.
If you who had these sound issues happen to notice this post, would you care to report if things are ok for you now with the latest Windows patch?

TurhaNimi

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 07:45:38 PM »
There's 3.72 patch #1 available for Windows, and as we've heard not further reports about the sound issues with it we're quite confirmed it's fixed.
If you who had these sound issues happen to notice this post, would you care to report if things are ok for you now with the latest Windows patch?
Hey, I'm currently experiencing similar audio issues (e.g. weird crackling at the end of certain sound effects like wolf howls and fire) using version 3.72.2 on windows 10.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:27:34 PM by TurhaNimi »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2023, 09:52:39 AM »
Hey, I'm currently experiencing similar audio issues (e.g. weird crackling at the end of certain sound effects like wolf howls and fire) using version 3.72.2 on windows 10.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

The showstopping audio corruption if pretty much confirmed fixed, but it's of course possible that individual cases may (for a variety of reasons) exist.
Would you e-mail me directly sami [at] unrealworld.fi and let's continue to pinpoint the issue from there on.