Topic: Too much cold  (Read 4501 times)

Kouvostoliitto

« on: November 04, 2022, 10:31:59 AM »
In winter, it may be so cold that a person dies in frost after only a few hundred meters of skiing. This happens even though he is wearing woolen clothes and furs.
It happened to me after he left the campfire feeling "hot".
It would be good to know how much it's freezing outside. It seems to be more like -80?

Another problem is the villagers who go after the criminal in waist-deep snow and fight against sword with knife. Women don't tire as quickly as a hunter.
The third problem is, that the villagers don't know how to throw anything. I'd be in trouble if they know how to throw rocks. Instead, they try to hit with a rock.

Another problems:

- You can fill (partly) a drinking vessel with dried meat.
- Salt spoils.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 11:32:56 AM by Kouvostoliitto »

makute

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 12:58:55 PM »
I've never had any problem with keeping me warm even in the north winter.

That said, check your current cold protection with [A]. Also, keep in mind that the quality and status of clothes affect its protection rate.

derek

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 05:32:20 AM »
Uh... I'm sleeping in a village house steps away from the fire, waking up shivering from the coldness. Not great protection from the cold, but I'm in a heated room....

Something isn't quite right here.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 09:16:58 AM »
It's tricky to get hold of enough quality clothing to deal with the coldest of winter days (when the temperature scale is at the bottom). You can't make all of it yourself, as you currently can't make wool clothes to complement the fur items.
As indicated above, there is a temperature indicator as part of the weather information at the top left of the screen. While that doesn't give you any exact measurements, I'd expect the very bottom to indicate somewhere around -40 Celsius.

The reason women tire slower than hunters is that they lug around less gear, and so have less encumbrance, which is the main factor that determines how fast a character tires.

Bert Preast

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 08:51:12 PM »
The BAC mod provides some extra options to keep warm; but often when the temperature bar is at or close to the bottom, it's best to plan for a day next to a roaring fire making arrows or whatever else needs doing.

Once you have full linen or nettle with wool over that and fur on top, I find that even in the coldest month you can get some hunting done.  But that lot takes a while to accumulate, so for a first winter I am more likely to be found next to the flames.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 09:00:15 PM by Bert Preast »

Bert Preast

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 08:53:55 PM »
Uh... I'm sleeping in a village house steps away from the fire, waking up shivering from the coldness. Not great protection from the cold, but I'm in a heated room....

Villagers often open the door, letting the cold in.  You may as well sleep as close to the fire as you can, as overheating is not yet a thing in Unreal World.

Bert Preast

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 08:58:50 PM »

The third problem is, that the villagers don't know how to throw anything. I'd be in trouble if they know how to throw rocks. Instead, they try to hit with a rock.

Another problems:

- Salt spoils.

NPCs using throwing weapons is not a thing yet.  You are right, it would increase the challenge if they did.  I would think twice before chucking a javelin at that Vagabond woodsman if I thought he might chuck it back!

Containers are always treated as if they are filled with liquid, it seems to work okay though it is a little odd keeping your milk in a birch bark basket!

Do you mean that a bag of salt spoiled (which I don't think it is meant to), or that some salted meat spoiled (which it is meant to)?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 12:09:19 AM by Bert Preast »

derek

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 04:32:33 PM »

Villagers often open the door, letting the cold in.  You may as well sleep as close to the fire as you can, as overheating is not yet a thing in Unreal World.

ah that makes sense, thanks!

Kouvostoliitto

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 12:22:40 PM »

Errr... another problem... I was fighting against the enemies, and I saw: the branch flying in the air, the enemy had shot it with his bow. Possible bug?
"His branch flies past you" =D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 12:25:40 PM by Kouvostoliitto »

Erkka

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 03:13:14 PM »
I was fighting against the enemies, and I saw: the branch flying in the air, the enemy had shot it with his bow. Possible bug?

This has been reported and should be fixed already, but I'd guess the fix is not yet in the latest version, but will be in the next release.

UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Kouvostoliitto

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 05:56:46 PM »

Another problems:

- Salt spoils.

NPCs using throwing weapons is not a thing yet.  You are right, it would increase the challenge if they did.  I would think twice before chucking a javelin at that Vagabond woodsman if I thought he might chuck it back!

Containers are always treated as if they are filled with liquid, it seems to work okay though it is a little odd keeping your milk in a birch bark basket!

Do you mean that a bag of salt spoiled (which I don't think it is meant to), or that some salted meat spoiled (which it is meant to)?
Yes, "bag of salt spoiled"

Kouvostoliitto

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 05:57:38 PM »
I was fighting against the enemies, and I saw: the branch flying in the air, the enemy had shot it with his bow. Possible bug?

This has been reported and should be fixed already, but I'd guess the fix is not yet in the latest version, but will be in the next release.
Okay, thanks! (Well...stones and boards flying too)

I dreamed: the number of fallen big tree trunks could double, as well as the number of ant nests.
But then: Assasin skills... Destroying the Njerpezies in the dark would be more comfortable. The skill requires you to be able to sneak silently. Then, when approaching from behind, you know where to strike, and the victim dies silently. When you are behind the victim, there could be an opportunity to drag the body into the forest after killing...
And of course the ability to start as an enemy.

I dreamed of combining the graphics of red dead Redemption and especially Stalker (especially the evening skies) with a future URW game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CamRFKPwNrQ&t=711s
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 04:03:54 PM by Kouvostoliitto »

anything