Topic: Technical question  (Read 3260 times)

Bakkat

« on: October 26, 2022, 03:11:04 AM »
What's the keyboard keys combination to
Pick up a tool/weapon and wield it, altogheter?

I used to do it, but I can't recall now. Tried in-game f1-help pannel but couldn't either.

Right now I am picking them, but gotta exhaust an extra time to wield it from the inventory.
As I am creating several character to only practice fighting, get to know better the Do's and Dont's about
those critical moments when battles appear.

Thanks in advance!
"When All the rivers get poisoned....
...Then we'll realize"

MrMotorhead

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 04:18:08 AM »
I don't know of any way to do this but it sounds like a great idea for a new feature.

JP_Finn

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 09:07:35 AM »
Pick up is “g” or “,”
Adjacent pick up is “G” or “;” +direction where to pick from
“Tab” then “w” for weapons, (“ Space” to confirm if more than one possible item)

followed by “w” to wield and the game should automatically show weapons to wield.

So in short:
, Tab w selection Space w “weapon’s letter”

makute

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 04:52:37 PM »
Pick up is “g” or “,”
Adjacent pick up is “G” or “;” +direction where to pick from
“Tab” then “w” for weapons, (“ Space” to confirm if more than one possible item)

followed by “w” to wield and the game should automatically show weapons to wield.
Those are two different actions: one to pick up an item and another to wield it. What @Bakkat's proposing is a new action, meant to grab an item and keep it in hand, wielding it in one single action.

JP_Finn

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 01:16:02 AM »
Well he asked what are the actions, subject is “technical question” and this is gameplay questions board, not suggestions.
It might be worth a suggestion, but might need more refining before posting the suggestion: how would two-handed be treated, with a tool or with shield or existing weapon, what if the other weapon is one handed throwing weapon like rock or javelin. Should it be placed in inventory, other hand or dropped? Automatic actions sometimes make things more complicated.

Tinker

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 09:49:05 AM »
There is already a suggestion that is similar, if you are carrying a paddle or sesta and are trying to move a punt or raft over water then you automatically equip the tool. Perhaps equipping a weapon automatically could be part of the same suggestion?

I can think of several times when I would not want to equip something I picked up which would lead to as many keystrokes to reequip the original weapon.

Bakkat

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 02:07:31 AM »
So it wasn't never working in-game?
Wow, sometimes I think I have memories that are not real O.O

It is not a suggestion. Somehow I thought it was already working that way.

Well, thanks you all
"When All the rivers get poisoned....
...Then we'll realize"

makute

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 04:36:26 PM »
There is already a suggestion that is similar, if you are carrying a paddle or sesta and are trying to move a punt or raft over water then you automatically equip the tool.
IIRC, the suggestion was to make the character use a near paddle/sesta in a similar way that currently, a near tool is used when needed.

Well he asked what are the actions, subject is “technical question” and this is gameplay questions board, not suggestions.
It might be worth a suggestion, but might need more refining before posting the suggestion: how would two-handed be treated, with a tool or with shield or existing weapon, what if the other weapon is one handed throwing weapon like rock or javelin. Should it be placed in inventory, other hand or dropped? Automatic actions sometimes make things more complicated.
It can be done without overcomplicating things, e.g.: pressing [w]ield instead of [Enter]>[Space] when selecting which item is taken (both, from the ground or a burden animal). In case that both hands are occupied, a prompt telling the player that needs to free a hand [d]ropping or [T]aking out something is shown.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 05:19:19 PM »
What's the keyboard keys combination to
Pick up a tool/weapon and wield it, altogheter?

I used to do it, but I can't recall now. Tried in-game f1-help pannel but couldn't either.

It's rarely used option, but it's there, so your memory serves you right...

From news.txt:

Code: [Select]
- added: key commands to wield picked up items automatically - [CTRL]+[,] and [CTRL]+[;]

Press [CTRL] together with pick up commands [,] or [;] to automatically wield picked up items.
        Notice that when picking up multiple items this way the first selected items on the list will
        be wielded.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

JP_Finn

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 05:14:44 AM »
 :o

I’ve totally missed that news.txt

makute

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 12:54:42 PM »
It's rarely used option...
Not any more!

Bakkat

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 09:56:58 PM »