Topic: How long can i keep seeds?  (Read 2272 times)

Arsenic

« on: October 06, 2022, 02:54:48 AM »
I've never done agriculture before, but i would like to be able to try on my current character.

I've found some turnip seeds in a village and was wondering if I could trade for them now, and wait until months or maybe a year later before planting. Is there a point where seeds go "bad" and are no longer plantable?

Tinker

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 09:54:07 AM »
As far as I am aware there is no lifetime limit to the viability of seeds, normally you would harvest them one year and plant them in the spring next year. The only important thing is to plant them soon enough so they can mature for harvest before autumn frosts cause them to wither and die.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 10:06:58 AM »
As mentioned, UrW seeds do not expire.

It can also be noted that autumn planting works in UrW, and as far as I've seen it works with all plants, not only those that are typically considered suitable for that usage (such as e.g. rye). Autumn planting means that you plant your crops in the autumn while the soil is still warm enough, have the plants germinate and grow, then have the above ground parts wither and die as the cold sets in. In spring these plants then have a head start and matures faster than spring planted crops (they basically start to grow immediately, even if the soil is too cold for planting).

Tinker

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 04:06:39 PM »
Good to know. I planted lots of stuff in autumn and it withered and died in the winter, I might get a nice surprise next spring as it looks like I might survive my first winter having snagged 3 elk and 2 bears.

anything