Topic: Skill gain in a skill at 100%?  (Read 3770 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: April 01, 2022, 09:32:43 PM »
This is happening with my skiing skill, preventing other skill upgrades during the day, I'm assuming there's some skill rust mechanic and I'm losing a fraction of a percent everyday and it's being restored??

ineedcords

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 11:32:05 PM »
This is happening with my skiing skill, preventing other skill upgrades during the day, I'm assuming there's some skill rust mechanic and I'm losing a fraction of a percent everyday and it's being restored??
I am guessing you have no evidence of your hypothesis: "skill gain in skillX is preventing skill gain in skillY" (without having access to game's source code, how can you have "evidence" of it is unknown to me anyway).

As far as I can tell, it is a simpler mechanic than you think and it goes like this: executing actionX triggers a small chance of skill-gain-in-skillX (with zero connection to other skill levels or recent gains in other skills).

This being the case, the only thing than can "prevent" your skill gain in skillX is not executing that skill's relevant activity.
In other words, if you want to gain a skill, keep doing its connected action (tens or hundreds of times) and ignore distractions, such as worrying about your other full (100%) skills.

Edit: wording/clarification
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 11:34:19 PM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 12:54:17 AM »
I am guessing you have no evidence of your hypothesis: "skill gain in skillX is preventing skill gain in skillY" (without having access to game's source code, how can you have "evidence" of it is unknown to me anyway).

As far as I can tell, it is a simpler mechanic than you think and it goes like this: executing actionX triggers a small chance of skill-gain-in-skillX (with zero connection to other skill levels or recent gains in other skills).

This being the case, the only thing than can "prevent" your skill gain in skillX is not executing that skill's relevant activity.
In other words, if you want to gain a skill, keep doing its connected action (tens or hundreds of times) and ignore distractions, such as worrying about your other full (100%) skills.

Edit: wording/clarification

The only "evidence" I have is that the skill keeps gaining most days even though it's at 100%. I haven't noticed it for any other skill, nor have I noticed any skill degrade, but I don't pay that close attention to the numbers to recall if I lost a % in one of the many skills.

I know that executing an action does initiate a chance of skill gain. I've also through experimentation found that you can't gain skill points in more then 4 skills per day, and it seems to be limited to 3 gains (3%) for any individual skill per day.

I know the limit previously in the wiki for gains per day was 3 on some previous version, so I know the cap exists.

ineedcords

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 02:15:09 AM »
<snip>nor have I noticed any skill degrade, but I don't pay that close attention to the numbers to recall if I lost a % in one of the many skills.<snip>
Personally I have never seen skill degradation either.

<snip>I've also through experimentation found that you can't gain skill points in more then 4 skills per day<snip>
Have you systematically (and for a reasonably long amount of time), tested this on a recent version of the game by creating a weak-in-easy-to-skill-up-skills (swimming/skiing etc.) and consistently trying to skill up more than 3 or 4 skills in a single day?

If not, it is still possible (and in my opinion more likely), that there is no such "prevention mechanism" in the game but you simply run out of time (i.e.: date changes) after improving 3 skills and before 4th skill is also executed enough times to get a random-skill-increase in that one, too.

Without source code access, I am only speculating here. I am also thinking, there is no sane reason (that I can think of) to add such a ceiling as time itself is already a ceiling enough and a good enough ceiling as well, due to the opportunity cost

I know the limit previously in the wiki for gains per day was 3 on some previous version, so I know the cap exists.
Well, if it was on the wiki, it probably was correct then. I did take a quick look at Skills page and was not able to see a limit. Also checked all edits, back to version 1 and could not find anything then either.
Of course, it could be on another page or on one of the alternative wikis.
Do you have any wiki link or idea, where on the wiki was it? Was it on the official wiki or another wiki?

GrimmSpector

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 02:41:22 AM »
<snip>nor have I noticed any skill degrade, but I don't pay that close attention to the numbers to recall if I lost a % in one of the many skills.<snip>
Personally I have never seen skill degradation either.

<snip>I've also through experimentation found that you can't gain skill points in more then 4 skills per day<snip>
Have you systematically (and for a reasonably long amount of time), tested this on a recent version of the game by creating a weak-in-easy-to-skill-up-skills (swimming/skiing etc.) and consistently trying to skill up more than 3 or 4 skills in a single day?

If not, it is still possible (and in my opinion more likely), that there is no such "prevention mechanism" in the game but you simply run out of time (i.e.: date changes) after improving 3 skills and before 4th skill is also executed enough times to get a random-skill-increase in that one, too.

Without source code access, I am only speculating here. I am also thinking, there is no sane reason (that I can think of) to add such a ceiling as time itself is already a ceiling enough and a good enough ceiling as well, due to the opportunity cost

Well, if it was on the wiki, it probably was correct then. I did take a quick look at Skills page and was not able to see a limit. Also checked all edits, back to version 1 and could not find anything then either.
Of course, it could be on another page or on one of the alternative wikis.
Do you have any wiki link or idea, where on the wiki was it? Was it on the official wiki or another wiki?

Yup, basically this whole playthrough I've been testing things to learn, 3.70/3.71. I've consistently been unable to go beyond 4 skills raised in one day, and I'd spend half a day or more on something like climbing or swimming, so it's pretty definitive, I don't think my luck can be quite that bad. :p

I think it was the fandom wiki some time ago, which is the unofficial one so who knows how old. It could've potentially been a forums post and I'm mistaken, I can't seem to find it at the moment. Haven't looked at any wiki edits myself.

ineedcords

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 02:55:37 AM »
Yup, basically this whole playthrough I've been testing things to learn, 3.70/3.71. I've consistently been unable to go beyond 4 skills raised in one day, and I'd spend half a day or more on something like climbing or swimming, so it's pretty definitive, I don't think my luck can be quite that bad. :p
Interesting... It could be that you were indeed that unlucky. Alternatively 3 limit 4 limit you speak of is still active maybe. I would love to know if there is such a limit in latest version.

o   <---

What's sacrificed above and marked with an arrow is a silver ring  ;) May the the spirits ( @Sami @Erkka ) guide us on the matter of whether 3-skill-gains-max-per-day limit exist or not.

Edit: 4 limit (not 3 limit) is what was posted above this post. Modified my post to reflect that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 08:48:43 PM by ineedcords »

PALU

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »
Max 3 gains in each skills per day has been the rule for many years, and I have not seen any indication that it shouldn't be valid still.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as skill rust in the game, but if I understand it correctly, the algorithm that gradually reduces the chance of gaining a skill point does not reach zero at a skill level of 100, so you can still "improve" the skill, but the cap of 100 means that "improvement" does nothing, as the skill remains at 100. It does, however, have one application: there's a skill course task to improve a skill (or maybe several such tasks), and this "improvement" allows you to meet the skill course requirement even if you're already at 100.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 03:18:31 PM »
Max 3 gains in each skills per day has been the rule for many years, and I have not seen any indication that it shouldn't be valid still.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as skill rust in the game, but if I understand it correctly, the algorithm that gradually reduces the chance of gaining a skill point does not reach zero at a skill level of 100, so you can still "improve" the skill, but the cap of 100 means that "improvement" does nothing, as the skill remains at 100. It does, however, have one application: there's a skill course task to improve a skill (or maybe several such tasks), and this "improvement" allows you to meet the skill course requirement even if you're already at 100.

That makes sense! Thanks.

JP_Finn

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 07:51:23 PM »
The game course for skill improvement @PALU mentioned is archery, with skill already at 100:
it might be easier to obtain crossbow and improve that instead… my characters tend to have low luck with triggering skill increases in archery above 90.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 03:31:15 AM »
The game course for skill improvement @PALU mentioned is archery, with skill already at 100:
it might be easier to obtain crossbow and improve that instead… my characters tend to have low luck with triggering skill increases in archery above 90.

I've been trying to improve it over winter, and gone through all my bowstrings, ran out of material to make new ones :(

Wish there was an archery target! I've tried active hunting and can't hit the broadside of an elk.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 08:25:52 PM »
Interesting... It could be that you were indeed that unlucky. Alternatively 3 limit you speak of is still active maybe. I would love to know if there is such a limit in latest version.

o   <---

What's sacrificed above and marked with an arrow is a silver ring  ;) May the the spirits ( @Sami @Erkka ) guide us on the matter of whether 3-skill-gains-max-per-day limit exist or not.

So I can say that I got a 5th skill with a + for the first time, despite many efforts to do so before, so it seems there may not be a cap on how many different skills though the 3% max per seems to hold. I am guessing having other skills improve my adjust the calculation for your chance to improve other skills, seems like it at least.

ineedcords

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 08:51:33 PM »
So I can say that I got a 5th skill with a + for the first time, despite many efforts to do so before, so it seems there may not be a cap on how many different skills though the 3% max per seems to hold. I am guessing having other skills improve my adjust the calculation for your chance to improve other skills, seems like it at least.

That is in line with what I suspected (i.e.: time itself is the ceiling).
In other words, developers did not add a separate maximum-separate-skills-improved-in-a-single-day ceiling.

Based on your & PALU's post, I understand there is a maximum-3-skill-point-gains-in-a-particular-skill-per-day ceiling which is of course a different thing.

anything