Topic: Tea doesn't help thirst  (Read 3373 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: March 31, 2022, 03:53:49 AM »
Why?? I boil beverages from herbs for their herbal effect (which I'm not sure I'm getting) and they fill up my hunger, rather than my thirst? This is puzzling...

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 06:19:22 AM »
 What specifically are you boiling?
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 07:33:43 AM »
What specifically are you boiling?

I've tried various roots, like bear pipe roots is the one I have in my skin at the moment. And some leaves (nettle I think?).

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 07:51:50 AM »
OK :D

Bear pipe
[EFFECT_BOILED:appetizing stimulant tonic pectoral diaphoretic pectoral stomachic]
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 08:48:14 AM »
OK :D

Bear pipe
[EFFECT_BOILED:appetizing stimulant tonic pectoral diaphoretic pectoral stomachic]

Stimulant suggests it should make me less tired, but I don't seem to see that effect. Also doesn't answer why it doesn't quench thirst :P I was hoping it would be a useful invigorating tea for days of hard labour.

JP_Finn

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 04:38:42 PM »
If you boil “roots” you get more of boiled vegetables, not a drink.
If you want she leaves or flowers you get herbal drink.

If you have already consumed bearpipe or other stimulant reasonably recently, additional doses doesn’t do anything. Try to go a day (24H+) without eating/drinking any. Let you fatigue drop below “lively”, say tired or weary. Consume the stimulant. Work for 20-30min (or wait, even sleep*) and see the fatigue go to lively. *sleeping after taking stimulant will go to Vigorous, just speeds the levels to lively and then sleep additional 1-2h for vigorous

GrimmSpector

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 08:02:22 PM »
If you boil “roots” you get more of boiled vegetables, not a drink.
If you want she leaves or flowers you get herbal drink.

If you have already consumed bearpipe or other stimulant reasonably recently, additional doses doesn’t do anything. Try to go a day (24H+) without eating/drinking any. Let you fatigue drop below “lively”, say tired or weary. Consume the stimulant. Work for 20-30min (or wait, even sleep*) and see the fatigue go to lively. *sleeping after taking stimulant will go to Vigorous, just speeds the levels to lively and then sleep additional 1-2h for vigorous

Interesting, ok thanks I'll give that a go!

JP_Finn

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 08:54:56 PM »
Sorry about all the typos, autocorrect and all.

Great way to utilize bearpipe is when elk&bear carcass processing. Skin the animal, if tiring to weary or below, get some stimulant in the system, carry on hideworking or butchering. Once you get the hide cleaned/tanning and have pieced up the carcass, you can sleep, then process the skin further and while waiting for that to progress, dry/smoke/salt the meat, or store some 30-50cuts raw in cellar if cold season.

Use those raw cuts to cook meat stews with 1 meadsweet OR few nettle and then a bearpipe. That way you can stretch single bearpipe to last several pots of stews. Also, meadsweet helps with stomach health, for example eating some stale foods. Also curbs the barfing if one eats spoiled, or some stomach irritant plants.
Nettle helps with Influenza/colds. I’m not 100% if it’s preventative, or curative only.
But it can make reasonably “balanced meal”

You can use other seasonings, but the trick is to use less than the total asked amount of “other herbs”, then just a little bit of bearpipe.

I prefer storing the stimulant meals separately, usually in cups (Or specific grade bowls, rough or fine, depending on carpentry) or birchbark boxes, so I don’t eat stimulants at times when I don’t need them, or want to sleep until the morning during long&dark winter nights.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 09:34:38 PM »
Sorry about all the typos, autocorrect and all.

Great way to utilize bearpipe is when elk&bear carcass processing. Skin the animal, if tiring to weary or below, get some stimulant in the system, carry on hideworking or butchering. Once you get the hide cleaned/tanning and have pieced up the carcass, you can sleep, then process the skin further and while waiting for that to progress, dry/smoke/salt the meat, or store some 30-50cuts raw in cellar if cold season.

Use those raw cuts to cook meat stews with 1 meadsweet OR few nettle and then a bearpipe. That way you can stretch single bearpipe to last several pots of stews. Also, meadsweet helps with stomach health, for example eating some stale foods. Also curbs the barfing if one eats spoiled, or some stomach irritant plants.
Nettle helps with Influenza/colds. I’m not 100% if it’s preventative, or curative only.
But it can make reasonably “balanced meal”

You can use other seasonings, but the trick is to use less than the total asked amount of “other herbs”, then just a little bit of bearpipe.

I prefer storing the stimulant meals separately, usually in cups (Or specific grade bowls, rough or fine, depending on carpentry) or birchbark boxes, so I don’t eat stimulants at times when I don’t need them, or want to sleep until the morning during long&dark winter nights.

Clever, and makes sense, thanks for all the tips! I have yet to catch a cold ... almost through my first winter, it only turned truly dangerously cold about a week back. I didn't really need the stimulant except one day when I was logging out an area for a new farm field for the spring.

JP_Finn

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 04:02:07 AM »
If you haven’t visited a village or settlement during winter in a while, doing so has a decent probability to contract Influenza. When that happens, avoid exertion, drink nettle tea and do light chores. Carpentry, clothes making, and so on are good options for passing time. Often the cold will be over in less than 2 days.

Keep up vigorous activities, don’t take any helpful herbals, sleep poorly; sleep be managed to have the cold last 3 weeks+

anything