Topic: Deadly poisoned  (Read 873 times)


Bakkat

« on: January 19, 2022, 01:32:34 AM »
Hi everyone.

My current character has done her first "black ear mushroom soup".

Black ear mushroom is deadly poison unless boiled it separately.

She's boiled it in a pot, with only water. Cooked it, and after that ate it.

Now she's injured. The "wound" is marked as critical dark-red.

1 - What did I do wrong? Why is she so ill if it was boiled as descripted?

2 - Should I try to get to a Sage? Should I track down some medicine?

Thank you¡

Isauros

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 02:59:32 AM »
Get to a sage and get them to heal you 3x.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 09:53:30 AM »
I'd definitely try medicine. I believe some plants are described as useful to get rid of toxins from the body, which definitely would help, and there may be other effects that might be useful too. A sage would also be useful.
If you've gotten herbal blends as a reward from a sage I'd try that as well. At worst it does nothing, while at best it helps.

Which kind of boiling? There Boil / Herbal beverages, which I think is what should be used, and there's Vegetable Recipes/Mushroom soup which definitely shouldn't work even if the only additional ingredient is water (it looks like flour/seasoning is optional).

After everything that can be done has been done, I'd top it up with a sauna bath (or a few).

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 04:09:15 PM »
Hi everyone.

My current character has done her first "black ear mushroom soup".

Black ear mushroom is deadly poison unless boiled it separately.

She's boiled it in a pot, with only water. Cooked it, and after that ate it.

Now she's injured. The "wound" is marked as critical dark-red.

1 - What did I do wrong? Why is she so ill if it was boiled as descripted?

2 - Should I try to get to a Sage? Should I track down some medicine?

Thank you¡

To blanch and cook the black ears: you need to boil them first. Then use the boiled black ear mushrooms in another recipe, like mushroom soup or meat stew.
Eating the “boiled black ear mushrooms” is still deadly. 

Bakkat

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 06:19:58 PM »
Thanks.

Yeah, That was the issue.

I've coocked the mushroom with a mushroom recipe... I should have Boiled them, just plain boil.

That solves my question...

Now I might get some medicine.

Thank you all

Bert Preast

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 03:44:28 PM »
This happened to me and I found good advice on the Wiki:

"In the case of deadly poisoning, asking a sage for healing is the only chance of survival. In such a situation, it is advised to beg the sage for healing multiple times, and to be awake 8 a.m. when the game's morning check happens. Even then, the odds of survival are only 1 in 3. One may try to improve these odds by praying to one's deity of choice.

Actually, it's possible to have much better survival odds than 1 in 3 - in fact, survival is almost guaranteed if treated correctly. If you get deadly poisoning, find a sage or shaman as soon as possible, and ask him three times to heal you (if the icon for deadly poisoning in the injury menu has not turned green after this, then ask again). Then, gather herbs that say in the description that they remove toxins from the body (Black Currants work as well). Until you recover, eat ONLY herbs with this effect. DO NOT eat anything else, as doing so will fill your hunger bar with foods that will not help, leaving less room for herbs that will heal you. If you do all this, you are almost guaranteed to be cured within a couple days as long as you do not have any significant injuries (deadly poisoning may raise your injury rating above 50% before it goes away)."

I would add that some herbs such as bear pipe increase appetite, allowing you to eat even more herbs that reduce toxins. 

Best advice is to neither eat, carry nor store any mushrooms unless you are 100% certain they are edible...  for what you get from them it's just not worth the risk of an accident!

ineedcords

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 12:46:48 PM »
1 - What did I do wrong? Why is she so ill if it was boiled as descripted?
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you got poisoned - I hope you will recover soon. I see that you already identified what the issue was with your process which is great.

In addition, you might want to read #16 in the Tips, Tricks, FAQs thread to see if it is a useful tip for you in your future mushroom soup endeavours (to prevent getting poisoned a second time after boiling): https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6459.0

Good luck!
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.