Topic: How to get early game food supply since fishing nerf  (Read 9040 times)

Plotinus

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 07:48:49 AM »
Also, if there are differences between, for example, milkweed leaves and nettle leaves, or lake reed roots and marsh calla roots, I didn't record this when I was doing my tests; so some of these categories might be an average of things that are actually different. but we know that some plants have more calories and are more nutritious than other plants, so it might be worth doing a study of lake reed (very nutritious, 55 carbs, 5 protein) vs roseroot (14 carbs, 1 protein)

GrimmSpector

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2023, 03:28:27 PM »
Fishing:

I've been keeping a spread sheet, and I've had luck using berries, leaves, roots, and mushrooms, in addition to the more obvious baits of meat and fish.

meat and fish make the best baits, then leaves and roots are about half as good as those, berries are a big worse than leaves and roots but still all right, and mushrooms are a lot better than nothing, but not as good as berries.

Even with nothing you will sometimes get a roach or a perch and then you should use that as a bait for another fishing round

Trapping: I like to put all kinds of traps in the same general area, with a fence, and bait them with berries, roots, and eventually meat too (spoiled raw meat works fine, cooked or dried or smoked meat doesnt work so well). Each day I reset the traps to train up my skill and eventually it pays off.

Active hunting: this gets less annoying once you have a dog to tire the prey out, before that you want to be good with a bow and arrows or very patient or stick to pine mires.

If it's the time of the year when the ice is thin, wander around along the edge of lakes looking for animals that got overconfident and fell through the ice

why pine mires??

Bert Preast

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2023, 05:24:45 PM »
I expect Plotinus means pine mires and open mires.  These are swampy terrain tiles with few trees, so easy to see and follow your prey and nothing to block your shots.

anything