Topic: [Fixed - persists in 3.70-beta1] Cold weather in midsummer.  (Read 5032 times)

Matu

« on: July 04, 2021, 06:33:57 PM »
I've been having surprisingly cold weather during a mid summer period at the Kaumolais region (midsummer, 3rd day of 12th week before winter season).

It's snowing and the lake gets frozen, but then, suddenly the temperature jumps to max. Could be that this also happened once while I was still playing with steam none beta version.

Are the spirits testing me  :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:42:46 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 06:37:31 PM »
It appears you're experience the same issue as has been reported earlier when playing migrated characters https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6470.0. There's a work around for the issue at the end of that thread.

Matu

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 09:21:56 PM »
That worked (deleting the weather.dat).
Spirits are happy again.

Thanks.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 09:50:34 AM »
Matu, what operating system you have there?
Also, this happened with migrated character (from earlier version), right?
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Matu

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 01:21:35 PM »
OS is:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Also, this happened with migrated character (from earlier version), right?
Yes, I think this started to happen after I updated to new version and kept playing the old character. After the fix there has been no problem.

ineedcords

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 02:19:04 PM »
@Sami plugging here as another data point - please let me know if you want me to split to separate thread instead.
Also on Win 10, continuing 3.63-created character on 3.70b1 (then 3.70b2); deleted weather.dat and returned to normal (thanks for the workaround!).

I have a savegame available from before deleting the weather.dat file, that is taken at "5th week before midsummer point".
This character is in a good state to fast-forward for testing purposes (a lot of dried food in cellar + shelter + rapid for water + 12-dog welcoming committee for any potential robber/njerp visitors).

For testing purposes I fast-forwarded this char and now have another test-savegame available that is taken at "12th week before winter season".
In midsummer it appears temperature bar has two distinct states; either goes to 95-100% full or alternatively 45-50% full; almost like flipping coin. I can attach screenshots of last few days if requested.
I never pay attention to weather this much (neither in UrW nor IRL) so I could be wrong but I don't feel like this is normal UrW weather experience.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Saukko

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 04:27:58 PM »
I also had a bit of a strange experience: it was late Harvest month, the temperature seemed normal for that time of the year and my character was standing outside her cabin during the day, nothing unusual in her Warmth status (somewhere between Comfortably Warm and Hot - nothing to raise an eyebrow for). I saved the game, and when I returned, she was suddenly Bitterly Cold. The temperature bar was well into the red, again usual for Harvest month, so where this cold status came from ... no idea. However, after warming up by the fireplace, everything seemed to return to normal. Migrated character, WEATHER.DAT was deleted before the first migrated game was started.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 10:46:38 AM »
This is migrated weather corruption issue.
To delete WEATHER.DAT in character's folder (when the game is now running) clears it up.

Saukko

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 05:32:38 PM »
The situation might repeat itself - I deleted WEATHER.DAT before starting a migrated game, and all was mostly fine for several months; then at the end of summer, it started snowing and the sea started to freeze, so I deleted the file again. I'll see if the weather becomes weird again within a few months.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 09:17:56 PM »
The situation might repeat itself - I deleted WEATHER.DAT before starting a migrated game, and all was mostly fine for several months; then at the end of summer, it started snowing and the sea started to freeze, so I deleted the file again. I'll see if the weather becomes weird again within a few months.

That can be normal. Though it's not common snowing in summer is still possible.
The real issue manifests itself with really extreme and weird weather.

anything