Topic: [Fixed- persits in 3.70beta1] Loop Snares Getting Disassembled  (Read 4508 times)

ineedcords

« on: June 27, 2021, 11:03:39 PM »
Hi,

Playing on 3.70b, I noticed that loop snares are getting disassembled.
As per screenshot below, I have 5-cellar wide cellar location, on top of each of these I always had active loop snare traps which once set, stayed active until an animal got trapped.

With 3.70b (continuing a long running 3.63 game), I just set them, and went to sleep; in the morning noticed that they are disassembled. Loop snares ended up as an item in the cellar. Savegame available upon demand.

Is this a bug or the new intended behaviour?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:47:04 PM by Sami »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 09:01:12 AM »
It depends (but not new behavior, as far as I know)...

Animals can escape from traps, in which case they're triggered without anything in them. Predators can also eat animals caught in traps, leaving them empty. When birds escape or are taken by predators there are often feathers left behind, but I don't think that happens every time.

I think large animals can occasionally trigger traps too small for them as well, although animals usually treat such traps as blocking obstacles.

Edit: When I wrote the above I wasn't aware that the beta had been release (and didn't register the release number clearly on the subject line). Thus, treat the comment with big caution, based on the current stable version.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:32:47 PM by PALU »

ineedcords

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 03:07:51 PM »
It depends (but not new behavior, as far as I know)...

Animals can escape from traps, in which case they're triggered without anything in them. Predators can also eat animals caught in traps, leaving them empty. When birds escape or are taken by predators there are often feathers left behind, but I don't think that happens every time.

I think large animals can occasionally trigger traps too small for them as well, although animals usually treat such traps as blocking obstacles.

Edit: When I wrote the above I wasn't aware that the beta had been release (and didn't register the release number clearly on the subject line). Thus, treat the comment with big caution, based on the current stable version.
Thank you for your input.
The question actually was targeted specifically to Sami/Erkka and the more refined version of the question (which I should have typed earlier actually) is:
"are traps placed on cellars intentionally getting auto-disassembled now with the new version 3.70?".

This here definitely was not a case of animals getting caught & escaping quietly; as 10 dogs did not alert at all, in addition this happened to 5 (actually 7, as there are 2 more slightly off screen and they too got magically disassembled) separate top-of-cellar-loop-snares in a matter of single night. Extremely unlikely to have 7 quiet animal trappings/bird landings followed by quiet escapes in that many hours...

Plotinus

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 11:39:19 AM »
I've noticed this too and I am pretty sure it's happening when my animals step on the trap. These loop snare traps don't hurt our pets but they can disassemble them anyway.

This didn't happen in the previous version but I'm not sure if it's an intentional change or a bug.

ineedcords

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 03:36:34 PM »
I've noticed this too and I am pretty sure it's happening when my animals step on the trap. These loop snare traps don't hurt our pets but they can disassemble them anyway.

This didn't happen in the previous version but I'm not sure if it's an intentional change or a bug.
I would pay 1000 squirrel furs to see this listed as "bug" rather "intentional change". It would be a major problem for Zookepers such as myself with 20+ animals running around within the home camp to see that our own animals keep resetting loop snare (and perhaps other) traps.

My Cellars would be defenseless against birds that enjoy landing & feasting essentially treating my cellars as their pitstops.
Prior to 3.70b, we had an understanding with these birds: it's all you can eat, as long as you accept getting skinned and butchered after the feast (many birds do take this offer :) ).

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 05:10:01 PM »
Yeah, I'm also finding it pretty annoying, and I'm not travelling with an entire menagerie, just a dog and a reindeer.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 12:02:26 PM »
It is intended that big animals may now trigger traps while moving through them.  So and elk crossing your loop snare may very well trigger it.

What we have to tune is that domestic animals don't trigger your traps - which is likely the case here.

Also, previously wild animals didn't enter trap tiles which didn't affect to them so you could use loop snares as quite effective barricade. That is history now, animals can pass traps that don't affect to them, and as mentioned above also possibly trigger them on their way.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 05:46:45 PM »
Domestic animals triggering the traps issue is now fixed in 3.70beta3.

[Fixed - persists in 3.70beta1]
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything