Topic: More uses for yarn in 3.70  (Read 3853 times)

Saukko

« on: June 30, 2021, 09:08:50 PM »
I've been playing the new beta a bit, and I was wondering whether it would make sense to allow creating cords from yarn, now that we have textilecraft? I modded the game myself to allow yarn to be used for standard cord, and renamed the old cord recipe to "Cloth cord" so that there is a source for cords in winter as well, because with the changes to clothing durability and the complete lack of wandering Njerps to rob in my part  of the world, I have hardly any cloth I could sacrifice for cord - or bandages - and had to trade for clothes in a village just so that I could rip them apart for cords... I think this would be a good change to the gameplay, and would also give some more uses for yarn.

Also related: now that plant fibres can be used for making yarn, wouldn't it make sense to allow harvesting even picked plants, like nettles, for extracting the fibres? The leaves aren't used for that purpose, but currently, once you pick the leaves you can't do anything else to the plant.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:17:14 PM by Saukko »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 08:33:21 AM »
Do you (or anyone else) have any knowledge of how "injured" nettles would fare when subjected to retting?

Saukko

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 05:04:21 PM »
The nettle is a very hardy plant that's nearly impossible to kill without completely rooting it out. If you just pick the leaves, it'll start to grow new ones as long as it's in season, so if you don't pull up the stem, it'll keep growing. And even if you pull up or cut the stalk, it'll be back next year.... From the information on this page https://nettlecraft.com/ it looks like nettles are quite easy to use as a fiber source - it recommends using over-year dry stems as the easiest way, so I suppose using even old dried nettle stems would work just as well as fresh nettles; and you would remove the leaves in any case before retting. However, I don't know if this applies to other plants like hemp or flax, so coding an exception just for nettles might be too much effort. So basically, as long as it's not complely decomposed, it's useful as a fiber source.

Tinker

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 06:00:07 PM »
I like young leaves as soup, older leaves removed before retting are soaked a few weeks in water which I use as fertilizer on plants like tomatoes. This does not help in game but is what I was taught by my grandfather 60 years ago.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 09:29:03 AM »
I've been playing the new beta a bit, and I was wondering whether it would make sense to allow creating cords from yarn, now that we have textilecraft?

Yes, it's the intention that 3.70 stable will feature cords made out of yarn - and also ropes to be made out of cords.

Also related: now that plant fibres can be used for making yarn, wouldn't it make sense to allow harvesting even picked plants, like nettles, for extracting the fibres? The leaves aren't used for that purpose, but currently, once you pick the leaves you can't do anything else to the plant.

Yes it would. The old mechanics of how picked plants are treated internally was just bit of a bottleneck there - but I guess it will give in eventually...
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything