Topic: [Solved - not a bug] milkweed harvesting problem  (Read 6879 times)

Tinker

« on: May 15, 2021, 10:05:08 AM »
Using 3.62 with BAC I have a problem with milkweed.

Picking leaves  is no problem. Harvesting the plant and threshing it without picking it up is no problem. If I pick up the harvested plant, with the idea to collect serval before threshing then there is a problem. I can examine the plant in my inventory with herbalism skill but if I try to drop the plants to thresh or just store them the drop menu does not list the milkweed and the programme crashes to desktop with no error messages. So far this always happens with milkweed and I have not found any other harvestable plant that cause the problem, but I have no come across many plants.

Savegame sent to Sami.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 02:11:34 PM by Sami »

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 11:31:01 PM »
Did you try to process the milkweed without BAC?
If it works without, the issue isn’t a bug, but a mod issue.

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 09:56:09 AM »
As far as I can tell BAC does not alter anything with milkweed or even use it in any recipes. In fact BAC does nothing with any vanilla agriculture. If I get a chance I will see about removing BAC to confirm.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 05:24:36 AM »
BAC adds a multitude of plant changes, for example vanilla sown-only plants appear in the wild.
Please try to process milkweeds without BAC to eliminate it as a possible reason for the crashing.

(I personally never had issues with any crashes in 3.62)

Tinker

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »
The BAC mod plant changes were for urw 3.63, they are not in the version I use, the changes were to about five crops like broad beans and hemp, no version of BAC that I have includes ant reference to milkweed or agriculture.

Tested without BAC and get the same error.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:58:16 AM by Tinker »

Brygun

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 02:30:49 AM »
Brygun of BAC,

From what I recall the changes in BAC were as mentioned already. One of the self-sufficiency live-in-wilds mods incorporated argued that wild edibles were more spares than real life and also wanted a way to start fields without having to interact with villages. Thus the access of a few crop capable plants were changed. AFAIK that should have been in the only change.

In my BAC play throughs I haven't seen that bug.

>>>

Though it is agreeable to isolate the problem by testing if it occurs without the mod which the user reports is the case.

>>>

As a suggestion try a reinstall of the game or if on Steam revalidate the source files. IT might be a random download micro glitch.

Tinker

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
As two players have reported not seeing this happen it does seem to point to my install being the problem, it is 100% occurring if I pick up harvested milkweed and it would seem that two long term players would have noticed it if it occurred, unless the both only pick and never harvest milkweed.

It occurs to me that this may be a specific linux executable problem, though I see no reports of this error on any linux portals.I will try an install on a new box to see if that works before I o a forced new install on my main game system.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 07:46:56 PM »
Using 3.62 with BAC I have a problem with milkweed.

Picking leaves  is no problem. Harvesting the plant and threshing it without picking it up is no problem. If I pick up the harvested plant, with the idea to collect serval before threshing then there is a problem. I can examine the plant in my inventory with herbalism skill but if I try to drop the plants to thresh or just store them the drop menu does not list the milkweed and the programme crashes to desktop with no error messages. So far this always happens with milkweed and I have not found any other harvestable plant that cause the problem, but I have no come across many plants.

Savegame sent to Sami.

Works just fine on my end, no crashes.
You could try to make a fresh game install somewhere, don't have any mods in use, create a completely new character, and then see how the milkweed issue goes.
If it doesn't crash then it's was something with the current character/install, if it does then it's something way more tricky.

PS. In general we don't investigate old version reports, but always try to help with crashes.

- Sami | UnReal World creator

Tinker

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 11:14:05 AM »
OK built a new system, new os and installed urw. Tried a new character but just as with the first 20 I had I could not find milkweed to harvest. Loaded the test file that has my character next to milkweed and everything works as expected, so not a bug but something wrong with my game install. Not sure how that can happen as Linux installs do a CRC check before installing so a corrupt d/l should never get installed.
Looks like I have some work to do backing up and reinstalling, sorry for all the noise.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 02:11:15 PM »
OK built a new system, new os and installed urw. Tried a new character but just as with the first 20 I had I could not find milkweed to harvest. Loaded the test file that has my character next to milkweed and everything works as expected, so not a bug but something wrong with my game install. Not sure how that can happen as Linux installs do a CRC check before installing so a corrupt d/l should never get installed.
Looks like I have some work to do backing up and reinstalling, sorry for all the noise.

Alright. Good to hear it's fine now. It's very hard to say what was the cause of this. It surely can't be a corrupt d/l but something that has ended up in your game files during the existence of the installation, maybe mods, maybe something else.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Tinker

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 03:24:13 PM »
Yes I confirmed it was not the programme d/l as with the old config settings I still got the problem, deleting all the config files cleared the error and recreated new files as needed, adding BAC mod did not cause problems so I am now going through the old files checking which mod may have caused it.

anything