UnReal World > General Discussion

Information about the Spirits

(1/4) > >>

Karmatose:
Hi there!

I'm planning a creative project in which I write a story from the perspective of one of the spirits who is observing my character. In particular, I'm thinking this spirit absolutely despises my character, and is constantly looking for ways to kill them. Unfortunately, I do not know much about the spirits as individuals. I have heard mention of a "Waterman" and an "Old Man of the Forest" but I know nothing about them besides their domain, and the wiki(s) are unhelpful. Can I get more information on this? Specifically, the questions below:

-What is the name of the spirit?
-What does the spirit control/what is the spirit's domain?
-How can the spirit affect the everyday life of an individual?
-What powers does the spirit possess?
-Does the spirit have any motivations or goals? (i.e., protecting something, destroying another thing, etc.)
-What is the spirit's relationship to other spirits?

If this is something that can be found in real-world mythology, if someone could please point me in the right direction for searching it up myself, that'd be great. I've tried looking up 'Finnish Waterman' etc, but no luck. Would also need a list of the spirits present in-game as well.

JP_Finn:
I have a feeling the spirits in-game are made up, just as the various cultures are. There are analogies of course.

Tapio is the god of forests and animals within.
Ahti rules in the waters.

There’s plenty of them, some more known/used/remembered, some less. And some aren’t ‘gods’ as per se, but rather elves (tonttu, the small and elusive fellas helping Santa at Ear Fell, not the Tolkien elves) and grounds spirits (maahinen), mostly malevolent water spirits (vetehinen)

Try to do a search for “old Finnish gods beliefs and spirits” or such.

JP_Finn:
I just recalled I wrote a short piece of the differing URW— ancient Finn beliefs few months back.

Karmatose:
Browsing through the links mentioned and some Wikipedia articles. My story would be set in the game universe...I'm thinking of writing one of the major gods, most likely...Possibly Tapio or Ahti. Ahti is appealing as I like the idea of him waiting for my character to go into the water so he can drown her, but never getting the chance. I think I will have a system where if my character does a certain action (such as swimming or boating) I will roll a dice to see what happens/if she survives.

Anyway, thanks for the links and the general help. I'll look into this more. ^^

EDIT: To clarify, the in-game name of Ahti is Waterman, yes?

Privateer:
 My personal favorite Kalma (goddess) the Finnish goddess of death and decay,
her name meaning "The Stench of Corpses".

She was the inspiration for my combat trainer mod.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version