Topic: Skiing on ground without snow should be very clumsy and fatiguing  (Read 4782 times)

whynoti

« on: December 27, 2020, 08:53:11 PM »
The other day, I noticed "skiing" on ground without snow (inside a building) is not fatiguing at all. This should be very difficult, as anyone with skis available can easily check out. They "stick" on the ground, are heavy to lift and get stuck on everything (especially inside buildings but also on forest floor). Also sleeping tight with skis on is apparently no problem for my character. Although I didn't try this one out myself, I can't imagine it being that restful  ;D

I suggest adding 5% or so of fatigue for every no-snow-tile travelled using skis. A similar penalty should apply for wearing skis and not using a ski stick.

Besides that: loving that game and looking forward to all the planned small additions that add another inch of game-depth.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:13 PM »
Skiing indoors nor sleeping with skis on shouldn’t be possible akin to trying to ski in summertime or attempting to climb fences, rocks or cliffs.
Not sure if the coding effort is worth it though.

Erkka

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 10:55:51 PM »
trying to ski in summertime

Just a small historical side-note. Actually, skiing in summertime has been a thing. Although, in that case it is more like walking with skis on - that has been one method used to safely move around a bog. Also, something like snow shoes have been used for similar purpose.

Coding-wise I'm afraid this kind of seemingly minor adjustments will require quite a bit of code. But I'm not saying it is never going to happen, let's see how it goes with all the other stuff on Sami's workbench.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

PALU

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 11:34:22 PM »
While I agree skiing indoors isn't a good idea, it does allow you to reduce the tedium of taking them off and putting them on again as a player. It can also be noted that you can't run while wearing skis (unless you engage in exploits), and the skis weigh a fair bit, so I wouldn't bother to code the further penalties that ought to be on top of that.

(Those who say you can't ski without snow haven't heard of the Finnish skiing athlete Juha Mieto, who was said to be at his comparative best on rain slick asphalt, only half jokingly).

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 04:58:55 AM »
Or Marjo Matikainen having issues on slippery watery snow asking to ski on some spruce twigs. “Havuja perkele!”