Topic: Configurable system of measurement with more precision  (Read 5820 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: December 05, 2020, 12:57:26 PM »
The game currently uses imperial units - pound, feet etc. Or more precisely mostly imperial units as there are few confusing metric system units (meters, kilometers) in the mix. We'll be sorting it all up now and will allow system of measurement to be chosen from two configuration options - metric or imperial. In addition you can also configure the precision of units displayed eg. how many decimals fractions to use. Two decimal fractions will probably be the maximum, for the sake of sanity and readability.
We'll probably also add some smaller units eg. grams and ounces, which aren't currently seen at all. So all in all it's gonna be less rounding with numbers and more precise measurements displayed - if you prefer precision. I'd also like to add option for quite vague unit display which emphasize more on common sense, roleplaying and old finnish units - but might be that it's gonna be a future addition somewhere along the way. After the global unit display in the game is reworked it will be quite easy to add new systems of measurements anyway.

These are future additions - not yet functional in current version 3.63.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 12:59:11 PM by Sami »
- Sami | UnReal World creator

trowftd

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 01:03:05 PM »
Nice quality of life change ;D Will this effect the syntaxes of crafting recipes at all or it is just on the interface level and everything works the same under the hood?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 05:34:26 PM »
Will this effect the syntaxes of crafting recipes at all or it is just on the interface level and everything works the same under the hood?

No, it won't. I forgot to mention that, and it's good that you asked since it's crucial information. The same old imperial units will remain in use within the crafts and recipes and all that, and the conversion is made only on the interface level.

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 01:47:01 AM »
Will this effect the syntaxes of crafting recipes at all or it is just on the interface level and everything works the same under the hood?

No, it won't. I forgot to mention that, and it's good that you asked since it's crucial information. The same old imperial units will remain in use within the crafts and recipes and all that, and the conversion is made only on the interface level.

Oh thank god... my stomach was starting to turn at a multi-day BAC coding frenzy to adapt.  :o

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 09:55:49 AM »

Oh thank god... my stomach was starting to turn at a multi-day BAC coding frenzy to adapt.  :o

Our recommended best policy is still to have mods contain only their additional and/or changed stuff - less updating that way if (big) changes come along, although they rarely come out of the blue.