Topic: Walking through the fire message  (Read 4942 times)

Buoidda

« on: December 19, 2020, 09:35:19 AM »
It'd be helpful to state how long the fire will burn instead of the current "You can not walk through the fire" warning that you only need to read once in a player's lifetime.

Especially when naked in the wild: this important information would be four times fever keypresses away. (F3+dir+enter+Esc)

EDIT: I wasn't aware / didn't remember the 'x' command, which diminishes my suggestion below treshold of making it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:25:13 AM by Buoidda »

ineedcords

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 10:37:03 AM »
It'd be helpful to state how long the fire will burn instead of the current "You can not walk through the fire" warning that you only need to hear once in a player's lifetime.
I see how it can help in some cases and in my games I personally had a need to be on a particular spot however this happened maybe only a handful times; it is not a typical need for me, I wonder if it is  for you and others?

On my mind, it is way more likely that the instruction to walk into fire was a mistake rather than a deliberate attempt to get engulfed in flames or a desire to be exactly on that particular tile for any reason. With this background, I doubt that information would be helpful for typical use case as I cannot imagine many/most players will have a need to sit there and wait.

And for those who do, since we currently already have a system that allows a player to find out WHEN will fire in a particular tile die out [i.e.:  EXAMINE command with 'F3' or 'l'], pushing down this information to any player who most-likely-mistakenly attempts to step into to a live fire is not only unnecessary/unhelpful but also cluttering and spammy.

edit: typofix
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Buoidda

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 11:20:01 AM »
I agree the information becomes important only in certain situations / scenarios. Playstyles come in big time in this topic. Practically all of my play characters start naked in winter or spring. There is some work to use the current system: "F3 - pick a direction - enter" when you could catch the  info while stepping around your fire anyway. It might not sound as much, but on physical keyboard use and psychological level I do think it would make a much more fluid interface.

I do walk mistakenly towards fire constantly and never read the message. Should my suggestion pass, I could still ignore the message - unless I need the extra information provided.

I understand only some (only me?) see this sug as important enough to bother the devs with, but I do fail to see how the current message is any better: more helpful or less cluttering.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:21:38 AM by Buoidda »

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 05:52:20 PM »
Change the warning text to: “ you can’t walk through fire, which will burn another <time left to burn down>

For faster check than F3, you can use xlowercase then direction. Benefit: no need to Escape from ‘look at’ mode. I.e. one less key press. Or 33% key pressing reduction  ;D

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 02:18:12 PM »
It'd be helpful to state how long the fire will burn instead of the current "You can not walk through the fire" warning that you only need to read once in a player's lifetime.

Especially when naked in the wild: this important information would be four times fever keypresses away. (F3+dir+enter+Esc)

EDIT: I wasn't aware / didn't remember the 'x' command, which diminishes my suggestion below treshold of making it.

There are hundreds of small things individual players, in their playstyle, would want differently. That’s eternal. The message is clumsy though, so we might address it if this comes up again, or we happen to wander around that part of the code.
- Sami | UnReal World creator