Topic: Small scale primitive smoker  (Read 5247 times)

Kreivos

« on: November 06, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »
I think a primitive small scale tipi type smoker would make a great addition to the game. Smoking doesn't really demand a huge building unless one smokes huge amounts of stuff. So maybe a small structure from three slender tree trunks, a large hide, some tying equipment and branches where one could smoke smaller quantities of meats?

Roheline

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 08:43:19 PM »
Agreed!

One of my characters just spent about 3 weeks game time to cut enough logs and build a cabin of the minimum size for a fireplace and a single extra tile to use for smoking. And by then the reindeer herd had left the area...

Primitive cultures definitely had portable alternatives to smoking meat. I think the latest update requiring a fire every day should still hold true. I could see perhaps a compromise where meat smoked in a more portable smoker takes less time to cure but has a shorter preservation period, perhaps just a month or two? This would help adapt to a more nomadic play style where we could have our characters hunt and preserve meat on the go for a portable stash of food that's used quickly rather than a full winter supply for someone hunkering in a cabin.

Here's an example from the Sami, looks like a sort of reindeer salami, that was smoked in a kota or even kept in a special container that allowed controlled fermentation: https://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/en/slow-food-presidia/sami-cured-reindeer-meat/

Buoidda

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
Taking development time into account,

why not just allow smoking in kota insides and doorways (because there is no inside in the smallest one)

or, better yet, allow smoking/drying in all kota squares and make the walls accessible by crawling. I could see crawling under kota walls useful in other situations too.

With possibly the requirement (when smoking) to have a complete kota. (then it can take more time than the cabin, though)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 03:50:21 PM by Buoidda »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 12:02:28 PM »
I think a primitive small scale tipi type smoker would make a great addition to the game. Smoking doesn't really demand a huge building unless one smokes huge amounts of stuff. So maybe a small structure from three slender tree trunks, a large hide, some tying equipment and branches where one could smoke smaller quantities of meats?

We could allow smoking to be done also in kotas – like mentioned in the follow-up. That would do the trick, but the smoking times would get longer too and taking care of the fire would need more frequent maintenance.
Smoking is anyway thought of as more or less settled food preservation method than a quick
wilderness expedition option. But still kota smoking would be reasonable addition, since we don’t necessarily need log cabins to settle down.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything