Topic: Crowdfunding : your thoughts?  (Read 22291 times)

Erkka

« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2020, 07:17:30 AM »
That’d be lot bigger than couple months of coding though, and not likely just a “side-project” scale. 

Depends on the level of detail we want to have. When I think of a side project, I think something which isn't such a deep simulation as UnReal World is.

are you including trade elements with settlements villages?

My idea is something like this: in this game you can't visit this or that individual village. (we will only simulate your homestead and the immediate surroundings, and you won't have neighbours that close).

Instead, you can choose a more generic "visit the market place"-option, and then be presented a mostly text-based dialog where you do the trading. That is one example of keeping the level of detail on such a level that the game idea is doable as a side-project.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

PALU

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
A comment on the blog post:
If something is done in response to a user action and the game (or "real" program for that matter) is "turn based" (i.e. things happen as a result of the player doing things, rather than running continuously) and it takes less than 50 ms or so it's basically instantaneously for the user, and so doesn't need to be optimized.
Spend the optimization time on things that are done frequently and a large number of times.

Owlant

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »
The game reminds me of VVitch. A family outcast to survive in the woods away from others. Trying to survive and make decisions.

I ain't buying no goats.

Dark Art

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2020, 09:08:52 PM »
So if the Hack n burn, family survival game is under way... are you including trade elements with settlements, villages?

I personally wouldn’t mind “URW-ish” take on sandbox. With Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress-esque features (without fighting?)
That’d be lot bigger than couple months of coding though, and not likely just a “side-project” scale.

If we want a full blown, complex and detailed game, I guess we really ought to make sure that this "side project" makes it well into the green and proves to everyone the feasibility of the concept. And after that... Well... Who knows what may happen. Maybe the devs will have enough resources and confidence to start something mid-to-large scale. So lets make it happen folks, lets make it happen.

Erkka

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2021, 08:00:06 PM »
Just a quick mention here:

I realized that I already have all the essentials set up, and instead of postponing things further I felt like starting a small campaign right at the first day of the year. This is not targeted for any wide audience, but seeking a team of people who wish to support and to participate in the project. For more info see the homemade campaign page

Since this thread is already cluttered by quite a lot of "maybe-this-way-and-what-about-that-and...", I will start a fresh thread as promised. I'll probably do that in the off-topic section, for strictly speaking this is not general UnReal World discussion, but a general Enormous Elk thing =) But due to the way my mind works (ie. going step by step), I'll post that fresh announcement later on next week, once I see how the campaign start has been.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Dark Art

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2021, 06:38:46 AM »
Since a new thread will be started, I think its ok to continue for a bit with "maybe-this-way-and-what-about-that-and...". So I would like to ask if there are any other alternatives to paypal. I was never a fan and after several issues closed my account years ago and I am really NOT looking forward to opening another one. Erkka, please do not take it as yet another push at you, but I would really like to see some options. If there is absolutely no other choice, I guess I'll open another paypal account, but I would strongly prefer not to be bothered with it again.

Erkka

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2021, 08:20:58 AM »
Hehe, yes, continuing this thread is good for more background- and meta discussion.

So I would like to ask if there are any other alternatives to paypal

That is a good question, thanks for asking! All this time I was under the impression that for the customer it is easy to send money via PayPal without an account. In which case they'd just ask your card number and stuff, and then process they payment. Your question made me to check the details of the procedure, and indeed it seems that such an option exists, but it isn't anywhere to be found. In other words, over the years PayPal has been making their user experience less user-friendly. Oh well.

Well, but the good thing is that with this kind of home-made campaign we always have alternatives. They are:

- Good old squirrel hides. Sending me a personal message to ask for my mail address to send anything nice, usable, fun or helpful stuff.

- A bank transfer. Again, first sending a message to ask for more detailed instructions. I think this is a handy alternative especially in EU.

- A card payment. Send me a message (preferably e-mail), describing the amount you'd like to donate. I'll then use PayPal to send you an invoice - I think in that case the recipient can simply click "pay now" button on the invoice message, and pay it with a card instead of a paypal account.

- Send me a message suggesting your own alternative. I'm not asking anything, but I promise to consider offers and questions. (Like, are you skilled in 3D modelling, fluent with Blender and such tools, and would like to participate in the developing team? That might be possible, but at the moment I'm not actively looking to expand the team, but as the development goes on at some point I might be more than happy to outsource certain pieces of the workload)

WOLFGEIST

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2021, 11:19:23 AM »
Personally I will support whatever you folks do! UrW is one of the best games ever made.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:31:03 AM by WOLFGEIST »