Topic: Mushroom question  (Read 3860 times)

Dr.Hossa

« on: December 17, 2020, 03:58:37 PM »
I found "puffy mushrooms", in Midsummer, Hay.

Trying to identify them, but no succes. When i check the Wiki, there is only the deadly sand mushroom which grows in that time. (besides many safe to eat mushrooms)

Now i boiled one mushroom, and used herblore. Funnily the character recognizes it, it is edible. but no other information found.
But the character still doesnt know anything about the raw one.
Theoretically, it cannot be the sand mushroom, because wiki says that it only grows in Eastern and Western territory. (If that is actually true without exeption!) - Because i am far, far north. But ehm, actually far north... -East :o
Now i am only 99% sure...

What would you do? ;D

JP_Finn

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
I found "puffy mushrooms", in Midsummer, Hay.

Trying to identify them, but no succes. When i check the Wiki, there is only the deadly sand mushroom which grows in that time. (besides many safe to eat mushrooms)

Now i boiled one mushroom, and used herblore. Funnily the character recognizes it, it is edible. but no other information found.
But the character still doesnt know anything about the raw one.
Theoretically, it cannot be the sand mushroom, because wiki says that it only grows in Eastern and Western territory. (If that is actually true without exeption!) - Because i am far, far north. But ehm, actually far north... -East :o
Now i am only 99% sure...

What would you do? ;D

All but sand mushrooms after blanching are safe to use in cooking. And using HERBLORE on the boiled mushrooms will show that “is edible”.
Most times boiling “unknown mushroom” it shows as “boiled unknown mushroom” in the inventory, but oddly, cooking that into mushroom soup, can change the name to e.g. black ear mushroom soup.
The mushroom you picked could be yellow fingers, or also black ear. (From the time)

Ezezaguna

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 04:09:33 PM »
As an encyclopedist this is very interesting  :o Do you have pictures?

PALU

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 06:04:34 PM »
Any "plant" you don't recognize is described as a <random name> plant/mushroom. The names used for unrecognized growing things are randomized for each game (not sure if it's per world or per character, though), so the only thing an encyclopedia entry could do is to list the descriptors used (the experienced player can figure out things the character can't by looking at the plant shape [a lot harder with shrooms, but not entirely impossible]).

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »
As an encyclopedist this is very interesting  :o Do you have pictures?

tell me exactly what i shall make a picture of, i ll try to post it

@finn and palu: thanks, but yea, i am aware of both facts... i just got suspicious because the character wasnt able to recognize the raw mushroom while he knew its edible when cooked...
But i guess i can safely eat them. I mean he says, it's edible, despite the fact he doesnt know which mushroom that is. i have to trust him. or do i...

i'll try to cook a soup and check again(just used "boil" before), perhaps he recognizes the name of the mushroom then

PALU

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »
My comment was actually aimed at Ezezaguna, as I don't think there's anything of interest to actually enter in an encyclopedium.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 12:09:11 AM »
oh... f*** my brain is too slow, sometimes.

yeah, there is no puffy mushroom  8)
Sorry nothing for the holy bible then

Ezezaguna

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 01:02:32 PM »
My comment was actually aimed at Ezezaguna, as I don't think there's anything of interest to actually enter in an encyclopedium.

Yeah, I was just role playing. There can't be anything outside the radar of the Great Encyclopedia and the Master Code  ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:04:24 PM by Ezezaguna »