Topic: Spawning and Edge of Local Map Questions  (Read 3579 times)

Minwaabi

« on: October 05, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »
Does anyone know if it is safe to build on or near to the edge of a local map?  I'm trying to build my settlement on a local map that is on a 4 tile island.   Will that impact my fence?   Would it impact the walls of my house?  I know in the old days you didn't want to build too close to the edge of the local map. 

Related question:  How does spawning work these days?  If I build a large fenced in yard that is 3 tiles from the edge of the local map (also 3 tiles from the edge of the region), will that cause problems?  Like animals spawning in the middle of my yard?

Thanks

raredragon

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 01:42:46 AM »
My base is on the shore, half between the edge of heathland and the edge of a lake, i never see animals (dangerous or otherwise) spawn inside my fences, they always seem to spawn from out of sight and come into vision when it's closer (my character have poor eyesight but excellent hearing so i hear them first)

PALU

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 10:37:01 AM »
Creatures can spawn inside enclosures. I've had many cases where I've found large animals caught in the trap fence surrounding my farm plots, with all the tracks being in the inside, none on the outside, and only the trap where the animal is caught being triggered.

I think I've once had a squirrel spawn inside the "stable" where the cow and sheep were tied to one tree each and the doors being closed.

Ara D.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »
I've often built shelters on the edge of local maps with no negative consequences other than losing auto zoom from the world map in wa months, the shelter was on a sea tile, I'm willing to bet the worst effect would be a cabin icon on both world map tiles

PALU

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »
If you straddle a border you get the cabin icon on both, as well as zooming in on both (when legal), yes.

JP_Finn

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 05:10:55 AM »
If you straddle a border you get the cabin icon on both, as well as zooming in on both (when legal), yes.

Yes indeed. With ingenious near trap fences, it can make checking them fast.

@Ara D.: you can turn auto zoom for entering homestead/settlement off in the settings. There’s no real down side on multi Wilderness tile settlements.

JP_Finn

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 05:14:17 AM »
Creatures can spawn inside enclosures. I've had many cases where I've found large animals caught in the trap fence surrounding my farm plots, with all the tracks being in the inside, none on the outside, and only the trap where the animal is caught being triggered.

I think I've once had a squirrel spawn inside the "stable" where the cow and sheep were tied to one tree each and the doors being closed.

Ah, the tree inside a stable setup. That means there’s no roof on that tile. So the squirrel could’ve legitimately climbed up the log wall, scampered across the roof, down the tree.
Btw, you don’t need a tree to leash animal to. You can leash them to fences too.  ;)

PALU

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 10:22:29 AM »

Ah, the tree inside a stable setup. That means there’s no roof on that tile. So the squirrel could’ve legitimately climbed up the log wall, scampered across the roof, down the tree.
Btw, you don’t need a tree to leash animal to. You can leash them to fences too.  ;)
Yes, in real life that could happen, but in UrW nothing can pass over walls (and birds can fly high out of reach inside buildings without holes in their roofs).  Thus, in terms of game mechanics the squirrel must have spawned there.

Someone told me about the fence option a couple of months ago, but this event happened earlier than that. I'm definitely going to to for fences for my future characters. though.