Topic: Combat Options  (Read 4764 times)

Jackdaw

« on: September 04, 2020, 03:16:05 AM »
First and foremost, I am a new player and I am completely in love with UrW. This game is a treasure. My one suggestion is that perhaps in future there could be the addition of multiple game modes (i.e. a pacifistic mode where there are no human threats such as Njerpez or robbers, the 'standard' or original level of human v human combat in the base game, and potentially an even more hostile game mode where both Njerpez and robbers are more common, and consequently villages are more suspicious and less welcoming to the player until trust can be built).

In my opinion, other humans are the greatest threat the player faces, and it could be interesting to see a selection screen similar to the starting scenarios where we might be able to decide how much or little human combat we want to face in addition to the other dangers of the forest, and perhaps the ability to change between them later on.

What do you all think?

MrMotorhead

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 04:38:24 AM »
I'm not so sure that robbers are the worst thing in game.  Aggressive bears and wolves are a possibility, I have lost characters to both.  I have not yet been attacked by a pack of wolves, but I'd imagine that it's possible.

I feel like the most recent version is pretty much as you describe though.  I started my most recent character with the 3.63 release and he's lived for 344 days without even sighting a single Njerpez.  I feel like all my previous characters would see at least one every month.  This character lives and hunts in the western reaches of the UnReal World, also no close encounters with bandits, yet.

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:07:31 PM »
  Aggressive bears and wolves are a possibility, I have lost characters to both.  I have not yet been attacked by a pack of wolves, but I'd imagine that it's possible.

Oh, yeah, it's possible! Usually, one stumbles into wolves on the zoomed-out map and is FORCED into a confrontation. The immediate response should be to reverse course, run, and get enough distance to return to the zoomed-out map. Otoh, if you're unfortunate enough to be dropped in the midst of a pack, there won't be a safe direction to run.

Then, you fight and maybe die. The good news is that wolves that take some damage often flee the battle and you can escape then. Beware, though, because they often return to the battle, too. PS: they're clever enough to try to get behind you!

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »
First and foremost, I am a new player and I am completely in love with UrW. This game is a treasure. My one suggestion is that perhaps in future there could be the addition of multiple game modes (i.e. a pacifistic mode where there are no human threats such as Njerpez or robbers, the 'standard' or original level of human v human combat in the base game, and potentially an even more hostile game mode where both Njerpez and robbers are more common, and consequently villages are more suspicious and less welcoming to the player until trust can be built).

In my opinion, other humans are the greatest threat the player faces, and it could be interesting to see a selection screen similar to the starting scenarios where we might be able to decide how much or little human combat we want to face in addition to the other dangers of the forest, and perhaps the ability to change between them later on.

I’m not very keen to add different modes that exclude, or accelerate some parts of the already developed and all-together adjusted game world. From developers point of view it’s not very satisfying, and also can disturb the deep understanding of the whole concept. In a less “serious” game, I would’t see it as a problem, but with this one I do. That’s the feeling now.

There are characters that never meet robbers or Njerpez even if they tried to, so the more characters you play you may find the the lives of those can be truly different in regards to threats the face. Currently Njerpez can be also actively avoided by settling further and further to west and north.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything