Topic: Hillforts and tribal protected areas  (Read 269 times)

Lopo772

« on: August 19, 2020, 10:25:25 PM »
It's well established that hillforts were a thing in prehistoric Finland, and I think it'd be a fun addition to have them dotted around the landscape. Maybe with alloted "chiefs" that consider themselves an authority in the area, offering special quests and such. I know that the Driikiläiset fortified cities are kind of this, they are still not a straight representation of this phenomenon, which occured all throughout pre-historic Finland.

It'd be a lot to add, but just a suggestion.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 02:10:57 AM »
Yes please.
Should also include a watch tower / hunting tower. And a ladder to climb up and down. To the tower. *

The hill forts should be spawned on the edges of the cultural area (not extending the area like settlements and villages do)and only spawning on hills, cliffs or mountains.

*maybe allow building fixed ladders to caves, cabin roof access et cetera. Notched log type, not 2 beams and rungs.

Petike

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:58:03 PM »
You could also have occassional fortified settlements in marshy areas and on lakes. Either on a small artificial island or a larger natural island. Lowland fortified settlements did occur in prehistory and antiquity, though hill forts at elevated locations were generally more popular. I think the obvious fortification-heavy culture would be the Driik, but a few of the other sedentary cultures with larger settlements could build simpler defensive palisades and so on.

I tend to occassionally build improvised hillforts of a sort, if I have a homestead (a log cabin and all the accessories) built on a hill top. I craft a lot of wooden stakes and then build a series of fences. Not much defence against intruders, certainly less so than a palisade, but it is easier to defend your home if you build several defensive rings of wooden fences. :D