Topic: The quest about finding a lost sheep makes me really mad  (Read 5837 times)

morrneyo

« on: August 17, 2020, 01:39:56 AM »
The sage gave me a direction of sheep but the clues are still so vague that they are totally useless.
Unlike a 'Lost axe' quest, the sage didn't point out the exact terrain to search.
I literally 'Alt+T'ed every tile of map but the place to explore is too wide, and didn't even worked.

It's 7 days of searching for the track and only 8 days left without progress.
I failed to even solve the first stage of the quest. What a bullshit.

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 03:47:47 AM »
 I don't know but am under the impression that 'tracking' on travel map square will not find these quest tracks.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Plotinus

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 05:16:15 PM »
The worst part is that it's only worth 5 squirrel hides

BlankPaper

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 07:06:30 PM »
Tracking on the travel map is really notoriously unreliable. Even at 100 skill, you can actually fail to pick up tracks that you've seen on the zoomed-in map not 10 seconds ago. I tend to savescum these quests and create a restore point to give myself some insurance and plenty of time to search. Even then it's super tedious, but I found that zooming on each tile and then climbing the nearest tall tree gives you a solid chance of noticing tracks and/or the animal itself while being relatively quick to execute (climbing is also super easy to grind to a high level). All that's left is to be patient.

Tom H

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 07:11:54 PM »

They say it's worth half the value of the lost animal. Is it really only 5 squirrel hides? (I've never succeeded at the quest)

user1805

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 08:43:59 PM »
Unlike a 'Lost axe' quest, the sage didn't point out the exact terrain to search.

I understand that in the F6-Map there is no area given? If that is the case you missed a part of the quest instruction at the village.

Míriel

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 11:45:12 PM »
  I have a very good track record with this quest so I'll share my tatic with everyone willing.

Spoiler: show
In my experience the animal tracks are in the central part of the circular search radius, in the zoomed out map I approximate the center and zoom in and start searching in an expanding spiral. I usually find the animal or the predator that's spawned with the animal in half an hour, if I find the predator's tracks I follow them backwards since they usually intersect with the missing animal's ones.

Plotinus

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 08:34:01 AM »

They say it's worth half the value of the lost animal. Is it really only 5 squirrel hides? (I've never succeeded at the quest)

The one I found was. It's possible that sheep I found was a small sheep and therefore worth less than an average sheep, but sheep are very cheap animals in general, I wouldn't expect a big sheep to be more than 7 squirrel hides. When I visit villages, I make a note on the F6 map of which animals they have, and when I'm due for a quest, I try not to visit the ones that have sheep. Cows and reindeer pay much better. Sows and boar are in the middle somewhere, but closer to the "not worth it" end of the scale (i think I got 6 for a sow once?)

MrMotorhead

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 07:48:34 PM »
I just completed this quest the other day.  I think I did it once before, long ago.

My strategy was to search for tracks on the zoomed out map (skill|tracking) in expanding spiral pattern, starting at the center of the indicated area on the map.  I tend to use the tracking skill frequently so I think it was fairly high when I started the quest, over 80%.  I did notice one small glitch, the villagers sent me looking for a bull, but my character reported that the found tracks belonged to a cow.  It turned out to be a bull, after the twigs on the last tracks were set alight and the animal appeared.

I know that my character has a very good relation with the forest spirits, perhaps this is more important than the tracking skill.

WOLFGEIST

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
You talked to sage and learned the Spruce burning trick, right?

Go to the center of the quest area and zoom in, begin looking for predator tracks. If you can't find them, keep checking areas close to the center. Follow the predator tracks and you should eventually find the animal tracks in question.

anything