Topic: Have you bought a hunting horn?  (Read 6559 times)

甜汤

« on: August 05, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »
Where should I buy a masterpiece broad knife?
I can’t make superior elk fur and superior bear fur
I mean, what culture will refresh broad knife? I found that some cultures have a lot of crops、 barbecue or fur
Have you bought a hunting horn?

trowftd

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
As long as masterwork stuff goes, I had the most success with driikiläiset villages. For the hunting horn, I remember reading an old message from Sami. He says: "Hunting horns are really ancient items in the game, and their functionality hasn't been checked for a long time. They were intended to attract/scare animals, but it's uncertain how well it still works."

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 06:28:01 PM »
Re: Superior furs- Even though you may have 100% skill at hideworking and use a Masterwork Broad knife, there are multiple steps in processing furs that can fail and the skinning is only the first. When you have the good fortune to peel off a Superior skin, you should avoid working the skin further until you are fully rested.  If you're even a little bit tired, store the skin in a cellar until you've slept, before you take the next step. I always strip down my clothing/gear to the minimum when I'm working a Superior skin. The percentages for success are very low so minimize negatives when possible. 

Re: Hunting Horn- I buy one with my guys. When I used to use my dogs for chase and hunting they would often go out of my hearing range when pursuing an animal. Now I keep dogs for protection and don't care to risk their loss or injury during hunting so my dogs only go out of sight when they are badly injured when fighting and flee.

Do horns work when dogs are out of shouting range? It's not possible to say because there's no feedback in game that one can attribute solely to the horn's use. I can say that since I've been carrying a horn I have not lost any dogs. Before I had horns I'd lost several dogs that just failed to return when called.

甜汤

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 03:58:03 AM »
As long as masterwork stuff goes, I had the most success with driikiläiset villages. For the hunting horn, I remember reading an old message from Sami. He says: "Hunting horns are really ancient items in the game, and their functionality hasn't been checked for a long time. They were intended to attract/scare animals, but it's uncertain how well it still works."

I have never seen a masterwork broad knife in this archive, I have never seen a hunting horn

甜汤

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 04:00:11 AM »
Re: Superior furs- Even though you may have 100% skill at hideworking and use a Masterwork Broad knife, there are multiple steps in processing furs that can fail and the skinning is only the first. When you have the good fortune to peel off a Superior skin, you should avoid working the skin further until you are fully rested.  If you're even a little bit tired, store the skin in a cellar until you've slept, before you take the next step. I always strip down my clothing/gear to the minimum when I'm working a Superior skin. The percentages for success are very low so minimize negatives when possible. 

Re: Hunting Horn- I buy one with my guys. When I used to use my dogs for chase and hunting they would often go out of my hearing range when pursuing an animal. Now I keep dogs for protection and don't care to risk their loss or injury during hunting so my dogs only go out of sight when they are badly injured when fighting and flee.

Do horns work when dogs are out of shouting range? It's not possible to say because there's no feedback in game that one can attribute solely to the horn's use. I can say that since I've been carrying a horn I have not lost any dogs. Before I had horns I'd lost several dogs that just failed to return when called.

Do you remember which culture you bought your masterwork broad knife and hunting horn in?

BlankPaper

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 10:46:49 AM »
I found my masterwork broad knife in a Reemilaiset village, and several hunting horns in Kaumolaiset villages. I think you can find masterwork items with good regularity within "rich" cultures (Driikilaiset, Sartolaiset, Koivulaiset and Reemilaiset), with Driik being the most likely.

甜汤

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 11:54:36 AM »
I found my masterwork broad knife in a Reemilaiset village, and several hunting horns in Kaumolaiset villages. I think you can find masterwork items with good regularity within "rich" cultures (Driikilaiset, Sartolaiset, Koivulaiset and Reemilaiset), with Driik being the most likely.

Driik didn’t find it. Reemi found a fine broad knife, but there is still no masterpiece broad knife. The memory of sarto is a lot of crops. I have been looking for hunting horns in the north. I thought they had dogs, so hunting horns should appear, but nor. I will go to Kaumo again.

BlankPaper

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »
Keep in mind that villages' inventories slowly refresh with time, so it may be worth going back to Driik or in villages you've already visited to see if they have interesting new things to buy.

甜汤

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »
Keep in mind that villages' inventories slowly refresh with time, so it may be worth going back to Driik or in villages you've already visited to see if they have interesting new things to buy.

I have visited driik 5 times. once a year. I just explored Kaumo again, but there is still no hunting horn. Should I buy all of their products?

BlankPaper

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 06:42:23 PM »
I don't know if buying all their items helps, but maybe it's worth a try.

PALU

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 09:07:36 PM »
I don't think buying their items makes a difference, but I don't think I've heard of anyone testing it.

ineedcords

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 09:43:05 PM »

I have visited driik 5 times. once a year. I just explored Kaumo again, but there is still no hunting horn. Should I buy all of their products?
I was about to start a new thread on Hunting Horns in vanilla game but then found this older thread & question and decided to revive it instead.

To answer your question looks like one have two routes to obtaining a hunting horn in the vanilla game:
a) either by going to Sartola (rather than Driik) lands and checking villagers and items for sale on the ground inside buildings,
b) or alternatively by attacking a Njerp camp.

Obviously no item spawn is 'guaranteed' so one may not get lucky initially, need to keep trying...

Here is my first hand experience: after not seeing a single one of these semi-mythical tools, in the last week I found two.
1) One was a new character/game that just visited 3 Sartola villages and found one!
2) The other character was also a brand new one, while testing Runaway Slave scenario, I rolled about 26 characters, but only a handful of them actually killed/looted Njerps (rest just took the flight option) and one of the Njerps in the camp had a hunting horn on him!
These finds both occurred on game version 3.70beta although hunting horn availability does not seem to be a recent change as the only mention to hunting horn in news.txt is on line number 14931 for an entry from version: 2.08, released: Jul-31-1995.

After finding two hunting horns in a week and thus confirming with my own eyes that it still exists/spawns in the game, I did a quick wiki & web search and did not find anything on the official wiki on this particular item but I did find a page on the unofficial wiki which says exactly the above (i.e.: obtain from Sartola or Njerp camp).

I hope emboldened bits help other seekers of hunting horns.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 03:11:15 PM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Tom H

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »
I've found hunting horns in the north-most territories (including the Sartola), and never ran across one in the southern areas. I've found several on wandering Njerp. As I've never attacked a Njerp camp, I can't speak to their prevalence in those.

The last time I had cause to use a hunting horn was after a Njerp battle. One of my dogs had been injured and fled. Upon using the horn, I 'heard' a responding bark in the distance and the dog returned shortly. This occurred after the update which created wandering Njerp bands of multiple Njerps, instead of the old single Njerp band, so I think the horns are still functioning.

codyo

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2021, 11:57:04 PM »
I have bought a hunting horn in the tents of the northern tribes. The Seal Tribe, Kuikka Tribe, or Owl Tribe may have one.

Or instead of buying one, Njerpez warriors will often carry a hunting horn, and maybe other roaming hunter NPCs could have one too.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 11:58:55 PM by codyo »

JP_Finn

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 12:00:35 AM »
I’ve not looked for hunting horn to buy.
Usually, as in nearly every character, get them from Njerpez. @Tom H: Solo guys in 3.62 did drop them, and did still in 3.63. Raiding their villages wasn’t/isn’t necessary.

anything