Topic: Animals will climb over the fence, how should I guard against them?  (Read 2995 times)

甜汤

« on: July 30, 2020, 09:45:07 AM »
Animals will climb over the fence, how should I guard against them?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »
No, they don't. Humans do, but small animals (up to and including wolf size) can run through them, with the big ones preferring openings when present. Bears can smash fences.

It's been said that a double layer of fences confound animals, although I haven't tried myself. I line the inside of the fence guarding my fields with fox pawboards and/or snares. I still get some birds and hares in them, though, but the somewhat larger animals tend not to walk through small traps, even when they can (large animals can walk through small traps without taking any harm, while still triggering the traps. Humans can intentionally dismantle traps and pass through them without triggering them (assuming they know the traps are there).

JP_Finn

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 03:52:39 AM »
Build a palisade instead of fence. You know, log wall.

甜汤

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:18:01 AM »
Build a palisade instead of fence. You know, log wall.

Thank you, I will replace my fence with a log wall

甜汤

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 08:29:33 AM »
No, they don't. Humans do, but small animals (up to and including wolf size) can run through them, with the big ones preferring openings when present. Bears can smash fences.

It's been said that a double layer of fences confound animals, although I haven't tried myself. I line the inside of the fence guarding my fields with fox pawboards and/or snares. I still get some birds and hares in them, though, but the somewhat larger animals tend not to walk through small traps, even when they can (large animals can walk through small traps without taking any harm, while still triggering the traps. Humans can intentionally dismantle traps and pass through them without triggering them (assuming they know the traps are there).

I decided to build a log wall for the farm, but before that I will surround the farm with traps
Does a dog on the farm help repel birds?

PALU

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »
Dogs do nothing against birds (they'll bark when predatory ones are around, but won't actually do anything. It's is really annoying with the barking when there are real threats around as well as there's no way to distinguish between the causes of the barking).

My previous character did surround the homestead by a "palisade", but it required a huge number of logs (I built on the very outermost tile of the homestead's world tile). The logs were largely provided by NPCs who, over the years, had cut down a lot of trees in the general area.

anything