Topic: Butchering and tanning agents  (Read 5111 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« on: May 20, 2020, 06:14:27 AM »
I'd prefer to get entire muscle groups, fat, brains and other organs, even blood, tendons, full skeleton as butchering products. Not just 1lbs cut of meat, 4 bones and fat. (with possible skull and antlers)

Especially for tanning, brains would be nice. For vitamin source (not yet implemented... eventually? cooking and eating liver shouldn't be overlooked. Lungs less usable, kidneys and spleen definitely. And I've personally always liked the flavor and texture of stewed elk(alces alces) tongue, delicious with cranberry jam and truffle mashed potatoes... mmmm  :D

But to the real suggestion:
Can we please simplify the 'fat/brains' received from butchering animals?

I.e. get "fat or preferably brains and lump it into a single inventory item.

Pros: less inventory clutter. No tanning agent shortage if character used capercaillie fat to tan hazel grouse skin (it gets fully used, yet hazel grouse fat isn't enough to tan capercaillie skin)
Cons: folks using bark to tan and fat as baits would lose their weight gaming "optimization"/option.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 08:48:56 AM »
IF we were to get muscles as groups from game animals, at least large game (deer, elk and bear), then as a nod to the suggestion to cut large fish to pieces, should have same approach to cutting meat to pieces.
And cold smoking an entire hind leg or a brisket, should justify 16 days of smoke curing time vs 16 days of curing 30lbs in 30 cuts of meat.

zwierzax

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:03:13 AM »
Whole leg smoked and salted like Spanish ham,
Intestines for sausages and black pudding, even cords if you dry them.
For me idea is great, because is easy to cook meat, but cook other (kidney, lungs, etc.) stuff to be tasty is harder, but you always get more dog food if you prefer.

Another thing is time, you need lot more time to butcher (whole day for elk), with do it in steps, it would be manageable in reasonable intervals and making carcass lighter.
Disembowel:
Drop to the ground - you can process it later for lungs, kidneys, liver. Eventually stomach, and small intestine for cords/sausage but it would take considerably more time and it easy to rot.
Pancreas and spleen is usually discarded, but it could be taken for dog food.
After disembowel - removing heart, then skinning - you can do it earlier with small game - warm carcass is easier to skin, but with big animals would be harder because of weight. Hanging carcass on tree could speed up the process, both for skinning and butchering. Additionally removing rest of the blood, as it makes meat spoil faster and not so tasty.
Then, you butcher the animal:
Front legs, hind legs, head, neck with shoulder, ribs, spine for loin, and lots and lots of fat under the skin.
Then you can cut meat from it, i don't know if it worth to make different meat and tendons, blood is very hard to get "on field" - it clots fast.
Same for bones, does it make sense to make more types of bones except skull?
Take brain out from big animal would be hard "on field" or very messy, but with sharp axe and trunk, one can easy get two halves
If I go hunting, and have no transport, with big game I will do disembowel, take heart and liver (if liver is not ill https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciola_hepatica ), skin, clean the skin to make it lighter, cut the legs, and tenderloins, leave the rest.

All above
It is much to wish for, but normally, after kill, you gut the animal, and took whole carcass home to butcher.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:49:52 PM by zwierzax »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 05:56:09 PM »
I'd prefer to get entire muscle groups, fat, brains and other organs, even blood, tendons, full skeleton as butchering products. Not just 1lbs cut of meat, 4 bones and fat. (with possible skull and antlers)

Especially for tanning, brains would be nice. For vitamin source (not yet implemented... eventually? cooking and eating liver shouldn't be overlooked. Lungs less usable, kidneys and spleen definitely. And I've personally always liked the flavor and texture of stewed elk(alces alces) tongue, delicious with cranberry jam and truffle mashed potatoes... mmmm  :D

But to the real suggestion:
Can we please simplify the 'fat/brains' received from butchering animals?

I.e. get "fat or preferably brains and lump it into a single inventory item.

Pros: less inventory clutter. No tanning agent shortage if character used capercaillie fat to tan hazel grouse skin (it gets fully used, yet hazel grouse fat isn't enough to tan capercaillie skin)
Cons: folks using bark to tan and fat as baits would lose their weight gaming "optimization"/option.

Yep, you could add lots of details to butchering, and some will possibly follow. Organs, blood and all that as butchery results has been suggested many times before.
Changing the fat item into generic item doesn't feel like too urgent adjustment.
We'll see how it goes then when the butchery code will get on the table one day.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything