Topic: Additional “trophies”  (Read 6377 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« on: May 07, 2020, 07:38:37 AM »
It’d be nice if we could get skulls of taken: lynxes, gluttons, wolves.
Get tusks of wild boars. Claws from bears and lynxes, gluttons and badgers.
And maybe even Njerpez’s/human skulls.
“Have skulls, build a grimoire”

And it’d be pretty nice touch if we could apply pair of antlers or a predator skull above the door on our cabins. Or ask for optional “trophy” when building door.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:23:01 AM by JP_Finn »

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:25:44 AM »
When the game gets old women added to villages, maybe have some of them, when in good standing with the village, have her ask for trophy item X, and when delivered make a good luck charm for the character.
Or have it as a sage/shaman quest.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 06:06:49 PM »
It’d be nice if we could get skulls of taken: lynxes, gluttons, wolves.
Get tusks of wild boars. Claws from bears and lynxes, gluttons and badgers.
And maybe even Njerpez’s/human skulls.
“Have skulls, build a grimoire”

And it’d be pretty nice touch if we could apply pair of antlers or a predator skull above the door on our cabins. Or ask for optional “trophy” when building door.

I think more skulls will be added in time, maybe even claws, but these foremostly would have to serve the setting and game world purposes i.e. to having magical and practical value within the game mechanics etc.

Trophies on the walls is maybe part of more modern hunting culture, where you want to show off with your achievements. It kind of contradicts with how we imagine the ancients having respected the game. Magical usage, and hunters status necklaces, and practical applications is a different kind, but we'd like to have strong historical background to this.

But yep, more skulls eventually, after some more browsing of my spell books too.
However, playing with human skulls then again doesn't quite fit the world. The dead, and their parts, were feared rather than collected.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 07:15:24 AM »
I often dedicate a Boulder, pair of Birches or other detail as sacrificial /memorial spot/grove in the cabin’s yard or vicinity.
Not a “just collection of trophies” but a spot where to offer meat, fish, farming and gathering produce to the spirits.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »
However, playing with human skulls then again doesn't quite fit the world. The dead, and their parts, were feared rather than collected.
I suppose having such an ability would nevertheless be of good. Just in terms of more player's freedom, and more various and immerse roleplaying.

And that won't inevitably ruin the historical accuracy. Say, if character messes with human remains, he can be punished by spirits in some way: like, a bear will appear and savage him, or some of character's items will vanish during his sleep, or there will be no hunting luck for a long time, or his house will suddenly burn...

And would someone still want to play a wicked character, it will be appropriately harder. Way harder, I guess, but also way more immersive. We've already got cannibalism, so why not.

Btw, does any eldritch consequences happen? Seems I never noticed. Also, not quite sure if it fits the world, to sacrifice a cut of human flesh to spirits and ‘feel at ease’. Does it? Or should this go to Bug reports/Suggestions forum?

Of course, I'm quite possible, as a player, to misunderstand things, or perhaps to perceive the game's lore, unconsciously mixing it with my own vision. So, would be great to know how exactly the world's creators mean this.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:19:41 AM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
I suppose having such an ability would nevertheless be of good. Just in terms of more player's freedom, and more various and immerse roleplaying.

Hmm. If everything was justified only with more various and immerse roleplaying and player's freedom we would be soon on our way back to generic fantasy mixed-up world, which is not our cup of tea. There's plenty of that around.

And that won't inevitably ruin the historical accuracy. Say, if character messes with human remains, he can be punished by spirits in some way: like, a bear will appear and savage him, or some of character's items will vanish during his sleep, or there will be no hunting luck for a long time, or his house will suddenly burn...

Well, I really would like to add some otherworldly consequences for messing with the dead. That would include for example even using the equipment of the dead. Bears wouldn't have any part in that, however.

And would someone still want to play a wicked character, it will be appropriately harder. Way harder, I guess, but also way more immersive. We've already got cannibalism, so why not.

Cannibalism isn't an intended feature, but just a thing that game mechanics allowed to happen. If it was suggested in the form it worked when somebody first discovered the possibility it wouldn't have made it on our list. It was left there in the current restricted form as desperate survival option.

Btw, does any eldritch consequences happen? Seems I never noticed.

Depends on what kind of consequences you think of? There is no true horror elements in a sense, but otherworldy and spirit influenced consequences can happen.

Also, not quite sure if it fits the world, to sacrifice a cut of human flesh to spirits and ‘feel at ease’. Does it? Or should this go to Bug reports/Suggestions forum?

Heh. Can be called an oversight. I rarely even remember human flesh being an option so it doesn't end up in the checks. How the spirits would treat human flesh as a sacrifice according to folklore... well.. I believe that is something that isn't mentioned in any written sources I have.

Of course, I'm quite possible, as a player, to misunderstand things, or perhaps to perceive the game's lore, unconsciously mixing it with my own vision. So, would be great to know how exactly the world's creators mean this.

I rarely continue replying to suggestions I've once replied because I'd easily end up in endless limbo where I find myself only talking about the game, in ever-increasing number of threads. But here was my additional two cents. Hopefully it helps.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

paulkorotoon

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 11:46:22 AM »
Well, I really would like to add some otherworldly consequences for messing with the dead. That would include for example even using the equipment of the dead. Bears wouldn't have any part in that, however.

Equipment thing looks interesting! As for bears, that were just random examples, not insisting at all.

Cannibalism isn't an intended feature, but just a thing that game mechanics allowed to happen. If it was suggested in the form it worked when somebody first discovered the possibility it wouldn't have made it on our list. It was left there in the current restricted form as desperate survival option.

Didn't know it wasn't intended, thanks.

but otherworldy and spirit influenced consequences can happen.

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to figure out. So, it's just me haven't had them or noticed any yet.

Heh. Can be called an oversight. I rarely even remember human flesh being an option so it doesn't end up in the checks. How the spirits would treat human flesh as a sacrifice according to folklore... well.. I believe that is something that isn't mentioned in any written sources I have.

So, I'll just use my own imagination then. Not really a thing to implement as soon as possible, I guess.

I rarely continue replying to suggestions I've once replied because I'd easily end up in endless limbo where I find myself only talking about the game, in ever-increasing number of threads. But here was my additional two cents. Hopefully it helps.

Thanks a lot for your answers, Sami! It's always good to learn more about UnReal World.

And for me personally, it's also great to learn something from an experienced indie game developer, as I hope to become one too, someday :) .
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:50:00 AM by paulkorotoon »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

anything