Topic: bow skill improvement  (Read 2631 times)

Kararas

« on: April 29, 2020, 10:51:59 PM »
I’m trying to improve my archery skills.  I tried many times to shoot big stone, in the end I got tired of running after arrows (I aim at a target from ≈10 meters, and the arrow flies away at 30+) Give advice if this method works at all and how do  you increase this skill

PALU

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 11:36:01 PM »
I don't use that method, but it ought to be possible to fire at the ground where there's an uphill slope so misses won't go as far. Aiming at a target (such as a tree or the wall of your cabin) results in a very high breakage rate, which isn't practical (I don't think stones count as arrow breaking targets, but haven't tried to test if they are).

I think I've seen somewhere that firing at dead targets require the distance to be at least 5 tile, though I can't confirm if it's correct.

The gamey method I use is to fire blunt arrows at prey caught in bear traps, aiming for the head.

Regardless of method, increasing weapon skills is a very slow process, especially when above 90% (I've definitely had several cases of more than 600 consecutive failures to increase skills at that level, although that was dodge and shield use)

reminded

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 06:12:55 AM »
I like a good mire, treeless, and with no water in front of me, and then aim 5 tiles in front of me.

I scroll out as far as possible, so I can better see where stray arrows land.

I usually have good luck with this method, and lose very few arrows.

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 12:56:24 AM »
When ever there’s nothing better to do, I shoot the side of cabin from 7tiles (14m) with rough arrows... they’re not good for hunting or combat and have lower trade value.
I’ve not got a skill raise doing that. But then, the sessions never last longer than 4-6 sets of 30-ish arrows anyway.
I seems to get skill raises better with head or leg hits. Blunt to head on trapped/fleeing seems reasonably decent. Even from adjacent tiles.  :o

anything