Topic: [not a bug - debatable mechanics] Bear Traps aren't nothing for villagers  (Read 6305 times)

Owlant

« on: May 27, 2020, 04:16:44 PM »
Villagers can walk through bear traps. I believe they do fall to trap pits however.

Tragic as I worked hard on those.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:58:44 PM by Sami »

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 06:54:19 PM »
For quite some time, many NPCs (people) can detect and 'understand' traps and avoid, bypass or disable them vs being trapped.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 07:01:47 PM »
A modification of Privateer's comment: Humans can recognize traps being part of a trap structure (such as a trap in a trap fence, or a line of traps), but not when they're alone. I had a stupid visitor (as in not invited, but not hostile either: I don't tend to chase them away) at my homestead who first cut down the trees surrounding a trap, and then get his legs broken in that trap, as it was no longer recognized by him. I've also found a dead merchant in a stand alone bear trap of mine. While both incidents happened a couple of years ago, I don't think that part of the NPC logic has changed since then.

Owlant

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »
Avoid and disable I would understand and accept but to walk straight over them is very immersion breaking. I can understand them walking over smaller traps but that trap hurts. I tested that character out and almost died from a crushed chest from walking into the bear trap. 

PALU

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:19:28 PM »
Avoid and disable I would understand and accept but to walk straight over them is very immersion breaking. I can understand them walking over smaller traps but that trap hurts. I tested that character out and almost died from a crushed chest from walking into the bear trap. 
Yes, if you trigger it. Those characters pass through the traps without triggering them, a skill the PC doesn't have.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »
NPCs can indeed recognize bear-traps, and other trap construction too if they're obvious. And yes, currently they just walk through them.

We could easily make it so that all the NPC would always trigger the traps as they go through them, but I'm not sure if you all really want it.
See, if you've got eg. companion returning home after serving in the wilderness is it better that they hop over the trap and pits in the fence - even though it would be a little immersion breaking - or actually triggers the traps. Or if a random friendly NPCs goes through your trapping site, and finds no better route than to go past your bear-trap, do you really want them to always trigger it on the way?

- Sami | UnReal World creator

Owlant

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 08:37:52 PM »
It is a hard one to balance. Perhaps have it so the villager disables the trap and leaves it disabled as you would if you found a stranger's trap near your home, but for companions on your homestead or in the wild they could disable and reset them again after themselves after a while has passed.

Other NPC such as Njerks and Traders, the pathing would allow them to get around, if not they could disable and reset them too. 

I think I may have to add this to suggestions.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 07:17:19 PM »
It is a hard one to balance. Perhaps have it so the villager disables the trap and leaves it disabled as you would if you found a stranger's trap near your home, but for companions on your homestead or in the wild they could disable and reset them again after themselves after a while has passed.

Other NPC such as Njerks and Traders, the pathing would allow them to get around, if not they could disable and reset them too. 

I think I may have to add this to suggestions.

Yep. It would have to be something like you describe. Also, feel free to add it to suggestions.
- Sami | UnReal World creator