Topic: Village Women Trading Too!  (Read 6679 times)

Roheline

« on: March 26, 2020, 09:27:14 AM »
Whenever I ask around, the village ladies never have anything to trade! How about we let them offer jewelry, clothing, food, cords, knives (maybe they can be the best chance at finding a small knife?), plants, seeds, etc?

If textile crafts ever go vanilla, it would be great to be able to buy spinning and weaving tools (spindles, looms, yarn) from them also!

Ara D.

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »
I hardly bother (L)ooking at anyone other than hunters and adventures, the other villagers rarely seem to offer goods. However it would be cool if people had occupation related items, Craftsmen with carving axes and knives, even better sages and old men with herbs for sale. Maybe somehow labeled if you buy them.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 01:52:05 PM »
I haven't had any problems with buying seeds and turnips from female villagers, but being sensible, they don't lug these items around on the off chance that an out of village oaf would want to barter for them ;)

I do agree, though, that it would be nice if personal trade goods would reflect professions beyond the hunter one. When it comes to jewelry and the like, people tend to trade away their private ones only as a last resort when running out of money, but goods related to their trade would certainly make sense.

Ara D.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »
It would be mostly for role playing but what if women carried thing like bread, mushrooms, soups and porridges. Hi there good maid I'll trade you these 3 grouse for a bowl of that delicious homecooked stew, I sure  am tired of roast trail food and that smell great

JEB Davis

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 05:11:21 PM »
I can see talking with a woman to trade for the bread, mushrooms, etc. The goods could be on a table or in a kitchen. But for role playing I don't see the women walking around carrying those foodstuffs all day waiting for a tired traveler to stop by.

Villagers would probably be walking around carrying only their personal items or tools they are using. Anything else to trade would be found in a building, most likely.

jonottawa

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 05:34:59 PM »
I like things as they are. This is another slippery slope to introducing politics into UrW.

Roheline

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 08:22:27 PM »
I don't see it as politics so much as realism. If the female villagers have things in their inventories and the things meet the "williingness to trade" parameter, then why not let them trade? Same thing with old men in villages. And why not let sages offer herbs for trade?

Ara D.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »
I like things as they are. This is another slippery slope to introducing politics into UrW.

I hear you but by your rationale politics are already in the game. When was the last time you got a quest from a female Npc or saw a female hunter or found one will to travel with you? There is a balance between current societal norms and the norms of the game's historical fiction setting. I think big elk has struck that balance well. The PC can be male or female no plus or malus to gender, it a cosmetic difference. While the NPCs somewhat conform to the gender norms of the iron age north.

@JEB Davis your right they wouldn't be likely to be carrying them but I rather they do for balance of playability vrs realism tempered by what I would assume to be easier to code and use existing trade mechanics. But even better the addition Npc crafting and professions via Ask. Hello could you bake me some bread I'll trade you these two rabbits. Yes come back I half an hour. Could you carve me a special punt with the force of water. Bring me a long felled in the rain and come back in a month.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 07:11:24 AM »

I hear you but by your rationale politics are already in the game. When was the last time you got a quest from a female Npc or saw a female hunter or found one will to travel with you? There is a balance between current societal norms and the norms of the game's historical fiction setting. I think big elk has struck that balance well. The PC can be male or female no plus or malus to gender, it a cosmetic difference. While the NPCs somewhat conform to the gender norms of the iron age north.

@JEB Davis your right they wouldn't be likely to be carrying them but I rather they do for balance of playability vrs realism tempered by what I would assume to be easier to code and use existing trade mechanics. But even better the addition Npc crafting and professions via Ask. Hello could you bake me some bread I'll trade you these two rabbits. Yes come back I half an hour. Could you carve me a special punt with the force of water. Bring me a long felled in the rain and come back in a month.

Indeed, requests to NPC would be great. From tools weapons and clothing to alternative meals, ingredients and herbs.
Could argue that it’d make more sense than the current mode where EVERY village allows some stranger shrugging pine needles off their shoulders to rummage through their survival supplies... but our world is not UnReal.

PALU

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
There actually is a quest with a female quest giver...

Ara D.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 01:42:49 PM »
There actually is a quest with a female quest giver...

???!!! Most go play UrW. Must find quest.

PALU

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 03:37:30 PM »
I CAN provide a hint if desired...

Dark Art

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 08:04:10 AM »
When it comes to jewelry and the like, people tend to trade away their private ones only as a last resort when running out of money, but goods related to their trade would certainly make sense.

Actually no. And not just a no, but a very strong no. Now, I dont know all that much about trade and currency in iron age Finland, but in my area, folks used jewellery as money long before coins were introduced and become common to the region. Given the fact that there is no currency as such in the game, I'd imagine that precious (small and highly valuable) items would play the role of coins more often than not. Its just practical. Why would a trader lug around cartloads of iron tools/weapons when he can carry gems/amber/jewellery and get much more trading done for just a pocketfull of goods.

Labtop 215

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 04:25:40 PM »
Well if it suits everybody else...  But I don't know how I'd feel about buying village women.