Topic: Make stat/skill increases based on longevity, not on tutorial  (Read 4484 times)

jonottawa

« on: March 11, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »
I think the tutorial is good for handing out free stuff to new players, but I'd rather see the stat increase happen on your first anniversary or something so that the tutorial isn't something you feel like you have to do if you want to give your character every chance to be awesome. As it is, I just discard any free stuff the game gives me, but that just feels unpleasant.

You could have the first one on your first anniversary and a 2nd one on your 5th anniversary or something like that.

It would also be cool if the common skill leveled (incredibly slowly) again based on longevity. You can't grind it other than by staying alive for years and years. Weatherlore should level similarly, if it doesn't already, so that when you're old you can be a meteorologist like the old farts in the village.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 07:51:44 PM »
Weather Lore can be trained by practicing it. Once my characters are out of the "scrambling to get enough to eat" phase I perform regular Weather and Herb Lore checks until reaching 100. This means morning and evening, as well as when spending time catching my breath before doing something where I want to have as little penalty as possible (such as tanning).

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 08:48:31 PM »
I do think ability scores should periodically increase based on what you're doing... hauling logs all day should increase your strength, doing lots of running should increase your endurance, and so forth.  These are teenagers, after all, the body adapts quite quickly at that age.

jonottawa

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 09:46:48 PM »
Weather Lore can be trained by practicing it. Once my characters are out of the "scrambling to get enough to eat" phase I perform regular Weather and Herb Lore checks until reaching 100. This means morning and evening, as well as when spending time catching my breath before doing something where I want to have as little penalty as possible (such as tanning).
That's weird, I'm sure I read in here from someone who uses Weatherlore every day and has never seen it level. So I don't bother with it. Has it always leveled like other skills?

jonottawa

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
I do think ability scores should periodically increase based on what you're doing... hauling logs all day should increase your strength, doing lots of running should increase your endurance, and so forth.  These are teenagers, after all, the body adapts quite quickly at that age.
Yeah, I wouldn't be in favor of that. Grinding stats should not be a thing. And what goes up can go down. I just think the one-off or two-off stat boost shouldn't be tied to the tutorial.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 11:15:33 PM »
That's weird, I'm sure I read in here from someone who uses Weatherlore every day and has never seen it level. So I don't bother with it. Has it always leveled like other skills?
UrW has been in development for a long time, and I haven't played it for that long. It's been that way for as long as I've played, though. The actual game play use I have for the skill is to decide whether I need to build a shelter (or stay in a village) or can sleep under the stars during travel.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 04:07:38 PM »
I think the tutorial is good for handing out free stuff to new players, but I'd rather see the stat increase happen on your first anniversary or something so that the tutorial isn't something you feel like you have to do if you want to give your character every chance to be awesome. As it is, I just discard any free stuff the game gives me, but that just feels unpleasant.

Game-course completion options are indeed gamey, and we’ll rid of them at some point – leaving only one reals tutorial like course.
Stat increase has been discussed at times, and in theory it that could be added but it had to be based on actual usage of the ability and happen very slowly. We think the stats more like innate qualities  of the character and every character shouldn’t  ever reach max. stats. This brings up a question “But you get stronger by doing physical work!”, and yes you do, but this is already featured by skill increase. The skill increase for example in bow or swords of course requires appropriate muscles to get stronger too. Now it doesn’t reflect in the game with strength attribute increase but strength is very general term. Is it the strength in your back muscles, legs, shoulders?  Sword and bow require different strength, as does the timbercraft and hideworking. The same goes for many attributes.
Are you agile to dodge or agile to climb trees? Base agility helps in both but to train dodging trains different kind of agility than climbing.
So the attributes are more like a generic overall starting point on which you build the physical skills – and the skill increase reflects what you’ve learned and what your body has adapted to. In that sense attribute increase hasn’t ever felt too necessary but if it was added it had to be very, very slow.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything