Topic: New color scheme: UnReal World without shades of gray.  (Read 5907 times)

Terrarian_51

« on: March 09, 2020, 05:05:07 PM »
Good evening, Sami! I would like to make a suggestion related with the URW color scheme. It would be nice to make color changes for the out-of-view tiles. The main purpose is  making these tiles colorful, but more darker than visible ones.

Some russian players were talking about desire to quit playing UnReal World due to the inappropriate color mix in the main window of the game. All these changes from color to gray tones feels disturbing for gamers. To be honest, that mix of green and gray tiles looks strange because of constant swirling on the screen during the game, and this graphical effect feels pretty annoying for me, too.

I'm suggesting you to replace a gray tileset with a colorful one. That would be nice thing. These changes may improve total popularity of your game, because some gray-coloured screenshots of URW looks really disturbing and creepy.

With best regards, Terrarian 51
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 03:15:45 AM by Terrarian_51 »

Terrarian_51

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 05:18:50 PM »
This topic got a more than 100 views, but no one wrote a single answer. Apparently no one cares about the game's graphics.
 That's just great, guys. I had lost all my patience with the graphical mix of green and gray squares.
I'm going to quit playing UnReal World right now. Thank you for the great game, Sami.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:49:22 PM by Terrarian_51 »

Night

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:38:10 PM »
This topic got a more than 100 views, but no one wrote a single answer. Apparently no one cares about the game's graphics.
 That's just great, guys. I had lost all my patience with the graphical mix of green and gray squares.
I'm going to quit playing UnReal World right now. Thank you for the great game, Sami.

A lot of us care, It's just none of us have an immediate answer. It takes time to make good game art, there are alternatives in the modding subforum. If nothing suits your fancy, you could always try to make some art yourself that you find pleasing.
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

Terrarian_51

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 06:05:57 PM »
If nothing suits your fancy, you could always try to make some art yourself that you find pleasing.
As far as i know, the ingame art makes the appearance for every game tile only, it's no matter if some tiles are getting gray coloured because of out-of-view mechanic. I wish to change graphical effects for the out-of-view tiles, making it coloured, but more darker than the visible ones.

Night

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 06:31:11 PM »
If nothing suits your fancy, you could always try to make some art yourself that you find pleasing.
As far as i know, the ingame art makes the appearance for every game tile only, it's no matter if some tiles are getting gray coloured because of out-of-view mechanic. I wish to change graphical effects for the out-of-view tiles, making it coloured, but more darker than the visible ones.

Ah I understand what you mean now. It might be possible through modding, but just a quick think on it, I can't come up with any immediate ideas on how to do it easily. I'll think about it some more, maybe do some testing if I can come up with anything solid. It's not a bad suggestion, but probably not on the top of their to do list.

Terrarian_51

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 07:16:04 PM »
I'll think about it some more, maybe do some testing if I can come up with anything solid.
Thank you for advance, the in-game graphical effects are very important for me, really.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 07:44:48 PM »
I disagree, which is why I politely ignored the post until the OP got upset about the lack of support for the suggested change. It's fairly common for games to display what characters (think) they know, while at the same time making it clear what is actually seen and what is "remembered", and showing the parts that are out of view in grey scales is a common way to do that.

Night

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 03:44:58 AM »
I disagree, which is why I politely ignored the post until the OP got upset about the lack of support for the suggested change. It's fairly common for games to display what characters (think) they know, while at the same time making it clear what is actually seen and what is "remembered", and showing the parts that are out of view in grey scales is a common way to do that.

This is a good point, but I would make the argument that a darker variant of the same tile, maybe slightly less saturated, is probably more realistic to what your character would imagine if you're shooting for the realism, maybe even slightly blurry (would probably look bad with blur though, unless someone figured out how to do it really well). Usually when I "flash back" to a memory, It's not devoid of color... In terms of being able to tell what is fog and what isn't grey scales are probably more definitive for sure, but I think his point is its less pretty.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 01:27:54 PM »
This hasn't been suggested before, so my conclusion is that for the vast majority of players it's not urgent at all to change it. Or actually, I'm pretty sure the most players would dearly keep it the way it has been for the past decades.

I made a little test and darkened color scheme looks pretty much ok, but if it gets featured it has to be optional and the current as default. I don't know if Terrarian has left the building already, but in general for suggestions to come alive they have to serve quite a big audience. I'll consider to have this as an option, but a few more "I'd like that as well!" comments would be good for getting started.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

jonottawa

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 05:35:32 PM »
I love the graphics as they are. Not a big fan of temper tantrums, though.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 05:56:00 PM »
@Sami, screen shot or two of your test would make it easier to get those, "yeah I like that" comments. I don't mind getting them in darker hue, but I don't mind the grayscale either.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 08:07:51 PM »
@Sami, screen shot or two of your test would make it easier to get those, "yeah I like that" comments. I don't mind getting them in darker hue, but I don't mind the grayscale either.

I'll try to remember to pop'em up here at some point.
- Sami | UnReal World creator