Topic: Spiky Fences and Fence Gates  (Read 9519 times)

Flintknapper

« on: December 05, 2018, 06:45:53 AM »
Spiky fences would be perfect for home defence. They could serve as traps as well (unwitting animals impale themselves on the fence while trying to climb over)?

The crafting could just be the usual 6 stakes + a cutting tool + typing equipment (for balancing). It would also take longer to build.

In order to access the other side of a spiky fence, you need to build a fence gate onto an existing fence. This gate can be opened and closed like a door.

Bears can still break through, so it isn't impenetrable.

tedomedo

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 10:08:57 PM »
Yes, either this or double height for fence or something else about fences to prevent lynx and njerpez to go into my house.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
I must say, fence gates would be nice....

tedomedo

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »
You play minecraft, huh? :)

Brygun

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
The crafting could just be the usual 6 stakes + a cutting tool + typing equipment (for balancing).

Typewriters are too advanced for early iron age Finland. :P

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 04:42:34 PM »
Building Finnish typewriter requires 26 rocks (keys), 26 cords, 26 stakes, 4 boards and a slender tree trunk.  Small knife preferred.  Birch bark lace can be use for paper, ink is made from pitch glue + charcoal

Now you can print up your anti-Njerpez manifesto and distribute to the townspeople!

Frostbit

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »
I think I'll just grab a feather, make a quill, and do it all long hand on the backs of hides.

But, first, my character will have to learn to read and then teach everyone else.

To keep unwanted things out of my stuff, I just build a rock wall around my settlement. It takes 4 hours for each tile. I have a lot of down time, though, since I've already razed eight Njerpez settlements with the character I'm running now and have more stuff than I could ever hope to use. That'll teach that lone warrior who killed my little dog who was only protecting me!

Spoiler: show

.Big Rock.  "Barrier Fence" [effort:3] [phys:stance,one-armed] *BUILDING* /4h/ |+2|
{Stone} (10) [remove][ground]
{Rock} (20) [remove][ground] '+for chinking'
{Shovel}
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:09:57 PM by Frostbit »

Brygun

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:07:11 PM »
All right to put .Big Rock. in the BAC mod?

Frostbit

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 02:01:13 AM »
Sure!

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 06:52:14 AM »
Fence gate WAS in the game, long time ago. Not sure if it was removed in 2.x or early 3.x
I was surprised to find it missing when I got back to URW.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »
Spiky fences would be perfect for home defence. They could serve as traps as well (unwitting animals impale themselves on the fence while trying to climb over)?

The crafting could just be the usual 6 stakes + a cutting tool + typing equipment (for balancing). It would also take longer to build.

In order to access the other side of a spiky fence, you need to build a fence gate onto an existing fence. This gate can be opened and closed like a door.

Bears can still break through, so it isn't impenetrable.

Fence gate is in the game now, but about spiky fences I’m not sure at all. It doesn’t feel proper, or period accurate. The danger of eg. wild animal is and should be always there – it’s essential part of the world. There are enough reasonable means to protect eg. your domestic animals already. Watchdogs or even bringing the animals inside for the night.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything