Topic: Dear fellow hunters..  (Read 2570 times)

skyleaf

« on: July 22, 2020, 03:47:55 AM »
As winter is foreseeable, I am very close to my 18 winters in my life. This is quite meaningful for me since not many teens in my village live up to this age, and it is soon to be my second year leaving my home and living alone in this no man's land. I want to make it special and I am thinking, hunting down a bear alone would be a great ceremony for this special year. I am quite good at seal and small games hunting, occasionally trapped down some elks, and even managed to take down a large herd of wolfs. But I am certainly not a master level hunter, at least not specialized in active nor big game hunting. So I would like to seek advises from all the great hunters who see this message, what should I prepare? Also which trap works the best, the trap pit with sharp stakes or heavy deadfall bear trap? I am quite competent in trapping but I still fear the bear would escape from the trap, should I make multiple traps in the region? Any other advises you want to give?

甜汤

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:24:50 AM »
As winter is foreseeable, I am very close to my 18 winters in my life. This is quite meaningful for me since not many teens in my village live up to this age, and it is soon to be my second year leaving my home and living alone in this no man's land. I want to make it special and I am thinking, hunting down a bear alone would be a great ceremony for this special year. I am quite good at seal and small games hunting, occasionally trapped down some elks, and even managed to take down a large herd of wolfs. But I am certainly not a master level hunter, at least not specialized in active nor big game hunting. So I would like to seek advises from all the great hunters who see this message, what should I prepare? Also which trap works the best, the trap pit with sharp stakes or heavy deadfall bear trap? I am quite competent in trapping but I still fear the bear would escape from the trap, should I make multiple traps in the region? Any other advises you want to give?

Find the bear

Trap pit helps to train skills

Raw meat bait

If you want to challenge your luck, javelin loading

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 05:03:13 AM »
I had several large animals run right through a pit trap, albeit they were injured doing so. I've never had an animal trip a large deadfall and escape it. Also, the deadfall doesn't damage the pelts, whereas stakes in a pit may do so. Deadfall for bear, surely.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:32:20 AM »
I've never had anything escape from either pit traps (never used spikes), or bear traps when my character isn't present when the animal was trapped. When my character was present when the enemy was trapped they've often run straight through it to attack my character (both predators and Njerps), although they've sustained some damage doing so. I've found an occasional empty small deadfall and snare indicating something being trapped and escaping, but nothing bigger (I've had traps apparently looted by predators as well, with feathers left behind).

anything