Topic: Please add the ability to dig a water well  (Read 8448 times)

ineedcords

« on: February 27, 2020, 01:12:28 AM »
Now that "tying equipment" has been added to the base game,
I feel the ability to dig a water well is the next single huge improvement that can be added.

It is one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind (the kind that don't want coastal settlement).
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Ara D.

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »
With this I would like to the use of tubs of water without them needing to be in my inventory. That way I could just have multiple tubs in my cabin/cave that I could use like a stockpile. On the subject of water, tubs are too small, holding less than
2 gallons/7.57liters of water or 16.68 lbs how about a barrel holding about 460 Lbs of water or about 55 gals or  208 liters

ineedcords

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 06:17:15 PM »
<cut>...tubs are too small, holding less than...<cut>
I agree, it should be possible to stockpile a lot of water with reasonable amount of effort (without requiring 50 wooden bowls or 500 wooden cups).

In real life, I never dug a well but I would assume it would be a huge endeavour - something you would only do for your home/main base and not for temporary hunting shelters etc.
Perhaps make well the ultimate water solution, and a big water tank the medium ground.

StefanPravda

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 06:36:11 PM »
In real life you need dynamite if a soil layer is hard, so in game you shouldn't be able to make a well everywhere. Also, water is not close to surface everywhere, so given the age and difficulty to dig dip enough, it should be another issue for well placement. But barrels would be really nice. And barrels of brew :D

ineedcords

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 07:01:57 PM »
In real life you need dynamite if a soil layer is hard, so in game you shouldn't be able to make a well everywhere. Also, water is not close to surface everywhere, so given the age and difficulty to dig dip enough, it should be another issue for well placement. But barrels would be really nice. And barrels of brew :D
I get that that it
a. either should not be possible to 'easily' dig a well at tough/tougher spots (e.g.: on hills or in mountain range),
b. or perhaps the task should take much longer but still possible.
However that kind of tile is an edge case and I don't want to request a feature for an edge case. What I am talking about is the softer ground (soft in summer).
For those many 'reasonable tiles', it should be possible to dig a well with dedication.

If massive water holding tanks are added to the game, perhaps you could load say 500 kg water to a bull and pull it to your home.
In the long run though it would get too micro-managementy.
Probably adding a well option is the easiest way forward to extend potential home base territory to most of the map.

Privateer

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »
You can modify (glitch) the building menu to allow you to make a water tile (well) like the ones in some settlements.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

StefanPravda

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 07:38:19 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I am not against wells, I'd like them, but with conditions based on soil type, season, and water presence. But then another question arrives. How could one know if the soil is good for a well in that period of time? Dig 2 months, then realize that a. There is a layer of rock that blocks further digging, b. There is no water, not even at big depths?

Plotinus

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 08:53:22 PM »
Just be careful not to dig too close to the sea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XupgwBIBCw

StefanPravda

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 08:56:11 PM »
Cool video :D And to answer my question, a sage together with the spirits might show you the right place for a well :P

Night

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 09:51:22 PM »
You can modify (glitch) the building menu to allow you to make a water tile (well) like the ones in some settlements.

How does this work?
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

Plotinus

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 12:58:33 AM »
one of the mods i have installed (nydzx i think) has this in biy_sufficiency.txt

Code: [Select]
.Water. "Well" *BUILDING* -L- [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance,one-armed] /8h/
{Shovel} <Shovel>
{Stone} (50) [remove] [ground] '+for walls'
{Rock} (30) [remove] [ground] '+for gravel packing'
{Wooden Tub} [remove] '+for bailing water'
{Rope} [remove]

Ara D.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
Some times Mico managing is part of the game a player likes and chooses, also just cause I'm a water nerd a 500 kg is huge ,water weighs 8.34 lb per gallons, and more than a single person would need before stagnation issues, the weight of a trunk is just right about 55 gallons and loadable on a  bull. As to how deep a quick Google search said about 3 to 5 meters deep on average to hit ground water in Finland. So I would say shovel to dig, slender trunks for ladder to access and egress while driving, stones to line, and possibly boards to shore up the hole while digging before lining with stone. Also a stretch, but maybe Weather lore to "witch for water"

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 07:53:42 PM »
one of the mods i have installed (nydzx i think) has this in biy_sufficiency.txt

Code: [Select]
.Water. "Well" *BUILDING* -L- [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance,one-armed] /8h/
{Shovel} <Shovel>
{Stone} (50) [remove] [ground] '+for walls'
{Rock} (30) [remove] [ground] '+for gravel packing'
{Wooden Tub} [remove] '+for bailing water'
{Rope} [remove]

Yes, BAC mod has this feature as well. 

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 04:05:19 PM »
Now that "tying equipment" has been added to the base game,
I feel the ability to dig a water well is the next single huge improvement that can be added.

It is one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind (the kind that don't want coastal settlement).

I’ve always felt it’s more period accurate that settlements are most often built near natural waters. I also feel that’s more the way I want things to be, but there’s archeological evidence of iron-age wells having existed too. If this was featured it had to be a thing that doesn’t succeed magically every time, but you really would have find the ground waters.
What I’d like to add first would be springs. With springs you could then build wilderness settlements near these marvelous natural water supplies.
But yes, we’ll consider the wells, but can’t predict when the time is right for it.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything