Topic: Is it viable to use a pack of dogs for taking down Njerpez and robbers?  (Read 14024 times)

StefanPravda

« on: February 22, 2020, 09:50:21 PM »
Hey guys

Is it viable to use a pack of dogs for taking down Njerpez and robbers? If yes, how many dogs to play on the safe side. I know they are not really good for hunting cause they ruin the skins, but I am thinking about trying some kind of dog kennel game :D

Thanks

PALU

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
I've never tried it, typically having a single dog. Dogs have the definite advantage that they don't fire at the other party members in their backs, but at the same time the disadvantage of not having much in the way of armor. Thus, I'd expect it to work with a sufficiently large pack, but also that you'd have a significant turn over, and deplete the world of dogs to buy.
Also note that the number of locations you can attack a character from is limited, so a pack of dogs will definitely get in your character's way (and no, you CAN'T shoot over their heads).

StefanPravda

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 10:29:07 PM »
Darn, so I need to test it :D And see if it's fun. Maybe do a little save scum until I find a balance between the number of dogs and the maintenance. Hunting for food at least should be easier, ignoring the skin issues.

EDIT: Is it possible to lose dogs if they run after some beasts? Or they return to you.

Bert Preast

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 11:10:41 PM »
I amassed a pack of 14 dogs with one character - he was a sailor shipwrecked on the islands, and the islanders robbed him and left him for dead.  He vowed revenge and after a year he returned in full kit with the dogs, and the havoc he wreaked on the islander villages was something to see.  I can highly recommend it  ;D   

EDIT: I lost a few dogs clearing the villages when they got injured and ran away.  I have also lost dogs hunting, but mostly they seem to find their way home eventually. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:13:10 PM by Bert Preast »

ineedcords

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 11:43:52 PM »
Hey guys

Is it viable to use a pack of dogs for taking down Njerpez and robbers? If yes, how many dogs to play on the safe side. I know they are not really good for hunting cause they ruin the skins, but I am thinking about trying some kind of dog kennel game :D

Thanks
I am currently travelling with 6 dogs, 2 big, 2 female I think.
I encountered Kaumi robbers and another robber band, single njerp (twice), single bear and pack of 6 made short work of all threats. I have had to replace a single dog only.

I also saved and experimented with attacking a spotted wolf pack, I knew it was a bad idea (hence the save) just wanted to find out how bad. It turns out pretty bad as wolves screwed up the dogs totally, lost the truck (cow) and all dogs but 2 and I wouldn't have made out alive had I tried to play that scenario any longer.

I rolled back and made a mental note to amass 30 dogs as soon as I can.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

StefanPravda

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 11:50:42 PM »

StefanPravda

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 11:52:05 PM »
Do dogs autoheal? Or do I have to whisper into their ears? Thanks

Tom H

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 01:06:38 AM »
I bumped into a robber ambush once with a Companion and 3 dogs in my group. In the end, the dogs killed 3 of the robbers' total, I killed two, and my Companion got one. The dogs didn't have a scratch, the Companion died.

The dogs actually worked as a pack, taking on one at a time. The robbers came as a group of three followed by the others, staggered.

Imo, dog packs are viable against robbers and Njerp, although the latter may have their own dogs now and those really can mess up the contest because they'll flee and then return to fight again.

I've had single wolves and a solitary lynx rip my pack up, otoh. I wouldn't willingly commit them to combat with those types, especially against a wolf pack. In fact, there was a time when a single bull wounded all three dogs when I let them run him down. Contrary to that, my packs have done pretty well against bears as I've never lost a dog when they fought them. 

And, yes, you CAN lose a dog when they get too far away. If you get up north, those tribes often have hunting horns for trade, useful for recalling your dogs.

The dogs heal some really nasty wounds. If they're hurt badly, they will constantly try to flee, so, keep them tied up when they're in that condition until they heal enough to lose the 'fleeing' trait.

Edit: Severely injured dogs will attempt to "escape", not 'flee'. While in that mode they won't eat when you feed them, despite their 'starving' aspect.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:42:20 PM by Tom H »

Plotinus

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 07:58:41 AM »
dogs autoheal but if they're bleeding you can and should do F7 to stop them from bleeding out, as soon as you've dealt with the combat situation enough to keep from getting inerrupted

StefanPravda

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »
Hm, maybe it's time for some dog armor :P Thanks for the answers. Can armor be modded for dogs?

PALU

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 02:12:18 PM »
Hm, maybe it's time for some dog armor :P Thanks for the answers. Can armor be modded for dogs?
Given that modders have failed to find a way to mod containers for animals, I doubt it. Also, I'm rather sure they didn't use armor on dogs in Iron Age Finland.

StefanPravda

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »
Given that modders have failed to find a way to mod containers for animals, I doubt it. Also, I'm rather sure they didn't use armor on dogs in Iron Age Finland.

I added something useful for animal hauling: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5376.0. Using it on my bulls and works fine. Although I don't know how to use graphics and stuff like that, so graphically it shows nothing.

And I am pretty sure too they didn't use armored dogs  ;D

Ara D.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 09:02:30 PM »
Oh the glorious mutts how I love these you furry wonders. Dogs if used right are great for hunting, you just have to understand how they behave. Anything smaller than them, foxes lynx gluttons they will most likely try and kill. Large game though they generally Chase and tire out, making active hunt much easier. If you and your furball get separated I don't recommend zooming out, shelter in place, literally build a shelter and wait. I usually try and zoom out to see if I get the message are you sure? Dog will be left behind,  I get to know my pal is alive. As to combat the pack is deadly when they work together. First thing to do is hit the look key. Identify anyone with a bow, and sieze the initiative. If you chose a target, the Archer, BEFORE the dogs auto agro to protect you they will obey it first, even bypassing closer does. Use them to cover the distance and shut down archers freeing you to engage closer melee targets.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
Good advice, also against tough melee enemies like armored njerps, bears, or wolfpacks i find the best option is to keep the dogs leashed and back into a corner or a wall of trees so that enemies can only approach from the front.  the dogs in front will act as a screen, allowing you to step out from behind and deal damage, then back away again.  The enemy will be forced to split its attention between you and the dogs, either way they will be getting attacked from multiple dogs at once.  I do this with 3 dogs (i find any more and it gets a little hard to manage) and I have never lost a fight.

For hunting, 3 dogs will also pretty much always tire out any large game.  It's as easy as finding the animal, unleashing the dogs, order them to attack, and follow the barking/running tracks.  Then just walk up and club the breathless animal to death.  Voila, instant pelt and meat every time.

ineedcords

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 09:45:35 PM »
Good advice, also against tough melee enemies like armored njerps, bears, or wolfpacks i find the best option is to keep the dogs leashed and back into a corner or a wall of trees so that enemies can only approach from the front.  the dogs in front will act as a screen, allowing you to step out from behind and deal damage, then back away again.  The enemy will be forced to split its attention between you and the dogs, either way they will be getting attacked from multiple dogs at once.  I do this with 3 dogs (i find any more and it gets a little hard to manage) and I have never lost a fight.

For hunting, 3 dogs will also pretty much always tire out any large game.  It's as easy as finding the animal, unleashing the dogs, order them to attack, and follow the barking/running tracks.  Then just walk up and club the breathless animal to death.  Voila, instant pelt and meat every time.
With only 3 dogs in your army, how do you deal with the unfortunate scenario of getting force dropped into the world, facing a large wolf pack?
It seems to be game ending to me and I look for a solution for that.
30-dog army is one potential solution which I will try as soon as I can but in the mean time, if you have any solution or tips, it would be much appreciated.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

anything