Topic: Various questions from a new player  (Read 43145 times)

jonottawa

« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2020, 07:13:31 AM »
It seems there is a (somewhat flexible?) limit to the number of different item types that a character can carry at one time. Is there a similar limit to the number of different item types that can be dropped on a single tile?

PALU

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2020, 09:03:37 AM »
There's a fixed number of item stacks the PC can carry, and there are similar, but much lower, limits for craft, animals, and companions. There is not a limit for dropped item stacks on a time, as far as I know, although there is a limit to the number of items that's allowed in the "vicinity" (something like 3 * 3 or 5 * 5 world tiles) numbering a number of thousand. Note that this number includes the stacks in built structures such as walls, fences, etc., so a fence might consist of two stacks of 1 withe each and 2 stacks of stakes (where the 2 different stacks comes from two different levels of quality), resulting in a "cost" of 4 stacks.

jonottawa

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2020, 07:36:04 AM »
Does skinning an adult elk or an adult reindeer in Kaumo complete the Kaumo Furs task in the advanced adventures tutorial, or not?

(I inadvertently completed this task in a way I don't think should count and I'd like to complete it 'legitimately' before I proceed to the next task.)

PALU

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2020, 08:54:27 AM »
If I remember correctly, any furs will do, but I'd finish the process (i.e. cleaning, tanning, and softening) before leaving. In the past I've performed the quest with smaller game, not the least because I can't carry the meat from a full elk with me, even with a dog of burden.
If it's winter I'd consider drying the meat while waiting for the skin and return later to collect it. In summer I'd try to smoke some of it in a nearby Kaumo village (if there is one nearby) for later collection. Otherwise I'd just accept that most of it will spoil and take what I can as dog food, possibly collect the rest later.

jonottawa

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
Can anyone else confirm/deny that skinning an adult elk (even a small elk) completes the Kaumo Furs task in the Advanced Adventures tutorial?

The wiki mentions fox, lynx, badger. It just seems odd to me it doesn't mention elk or reindeer.

"Kaumo furs

Kill and skin an animal bearing high value fur (fox, lynx, badger, etc.) in Kaumo territory."

An elk fur is significantly more valuable than a fox fur, and far more valuable than a badger fur. But maybe this quest refers to value in the sense of value/lb?

PALU

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2020, 11:25:23 PM »
Value in this context is definitely value per unit of weight, not total sales value.

jonottawa

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2020, 12:14:33 AM »
I trapped a fox, just to be safe, so I'm still curious about this, but it's not important for my current game any more.

Tom H

« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2020, 04:02:45 PM »
I have completed this quest several times by skinning a Fine SQUIRREL! That gave me the impression that it is the quality that is demanded, not the size of the animal.

jonottawa

« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2020, 05:53:48 PM »
Lucky you, I have searched high and low and never have I found a fine squirrel.

But seriously, thanks for the reply. The animal I skinned that triggered quest completion gave me a harsh skin, so it's not about above average hide quality (nor should it be imo, since being a fisherman or a farmer is a valid playstyle.) It's starting to look like skinning any fur-bearing animal will do.

JP_Finn

« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »
Fine fur, comes from minorly damaged skin and reasonable hideworking with decent or better (broad) knife.
Hacked carcass won't yield better than ragged fur and so on.

Certain animals, most mustelids, are better shot with regular (fine, superior arrows) rather than blunt arrows. One serious puncture* damages the hide less than 2-3 hits with blunts* IME
*and axe poll, spear shaft or kick. Hits on the head&skull do not count to hide damage.

Throwing squirrel with a rock to knock it down a tree, then kicking it's skull yields fine hide ~90% of the time with regular broad knife and hide working >50%

PALU

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2020, 08:05:24 PM »
Also note that the skin IS damaged from neck hits, so reserve those attacks for Njerps/Robbers (they never yield quality skin anyway :P ).

jonottawa

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2020, 05:46:43 PM »
Question re: Warfare task in Advanced Adventures tutorial:

Spoiler: show
So, I just completed this task by killing a random Njerp on the map. Here's how the task reads:

"Njerpez warriors, foreigners from the east, have been making raids in this region. Your next task is to find their camp and kill all of them. When you find the camp you can make plans for how and when to attack them. You'd better be prepared and properly armed too. Wandering Njerpez warriors are encountered from time to time, but in the wilderness the conflicts are easier to avoid. In their camp you can expect to find numerous warriors so hiding and sneaking could be a very useful tactic."

Is this working as intended that just killing 1 stray Njerp completes this task, or is it intended that you go to Njerp territory and kill everyone in a Njerp settlement? Did Njerp 'camps' used to spawn across the whole map, because I've never seen one. I'd like to complete this task as it was intended.

PALU

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »

It's as it has been for a long time. Warrior camps are extremely rare, and I've never seen one apart from the one in the runaway slave starting scenario. However, there have been fairly recent forum reports of people encountering war camps (which are not to be confused with villages).

It's probably another case where the game has changed over the years, but some parts haven't adapted to those changed.

JP_Finn

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2020, 04:46:15 AM »
Njerps can build camps now.
One of my current characters (who got robbed of his clothes north of Owl territory) has couple camps in Koivula-Kiesse and on the map there’s purple dot west-north west of Koivula now. I’ll grab a map screen shot in while once I’m on computer next.

JP_Finn

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2020, 04:48:36 AM »
Question re: Warfare task in Advanced Adventures tutorial:

So, I just completed this task by killing a random Njerp on the map. Here's how the task reads:

"Njerpez warriors, foreigners from the east, have been making raids in this region. Your next task is to find their camp and kill all of them. When you find the camp you can make plans for how and when to attack them. You'd better be prepared and properly armed too. Wandering Njerpez warriors are encountered from time to time, but in the wilderness the conflicts are easier to avoid. In their camp you can expect to find numerous warriors so hiding and sneaking could be a very useful tactic."

Is this working as intended that just killing 1 stray Njerp completes this task, or is it intended that you go to Njerp territory and kill everyone in a Njerp settlement? Did Njerp 'camps' used to spawn across the whole map, because I've never seen one. I'd like to complete this task as it was intended.

Once the *whole group* of Njerp is defeated, the task is completed...

anything