Topic: Footwraps needed  (Read 9725 times)

Tom H

« on: December 30, 2019, 09:09:05 PM »
There's a consensus that our characters are in need of something to fend off the cold when the warm, woolen, gloves/mittens/socks are not available. It was suggested that our characters should be able to fashion simple footwraps and the like from our woolen scraps.

Roqi

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 01:01:28 PM »
Definitely seconding this. The footwraps are described as simple triangles of cloth- no reason a character able to make a shirt out of bear hide shouldn't be able to make them.

Maybe even fur socks? I don't know how historically accurate that would be, but I imagine socks fashioned from the hide of squirrels would be pretty comfy  ;D

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 04:36:14 PM »
Perhaps those with more knowledge of ancient Finland could help out - but if fur mittens and fur footwear are insufficient to protect from the Finnish cold, then what did ancient Finnish typically use?  In particular, what might an isolated survivalist use? 

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 07:12:55 PM »
Perhaps those with more knowledge of ancient Finland could help out - but if fur mittens and fur footwear are insufficient to protect from the Finnish cold, then what did ancient Finnish typically use?  In particular, what might an isolated survivalist use?

I think it might be something like the footwear recovered when they found Otzi, the Iceman. Part leather, filled in with grass.

Mati256

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »
It's pretty easy to mod footwraps out of any cloth you want, this is from some old mod, don't remember if it's original or my addition. It might need some editing to fit into current conventions:

Code: [Select]
.Woollen wraps. "Woollen footrags" *COMMON* /25/
{Woollen *}   'Woollen Cloth'  #1#  [remove]
{Knife} <Small knife> 'A knife good for fine work'
[MATERIAL:wool]
[ARMOUR_MATERIAL:wool]
[ARMOUR_COVERAGE:calf foot]

Tom H

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 03:25:59 AM »
The thing about such mods is that I wonder if they are at all considered by the game mechanics. If the program doesn't recognize it, will it use it to calculate the effect of cold upon the wearer?

Mati256

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 04:00:54 AM »
Why would the game not recognize it? If it's using the mechanics programmed by the developers it should work.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 02:55:01 PM »
"Crafting" woolen clothes in the real world is not a task simply done by an unskilled person.
Remeber your days in elementary school in handicraft-class...
Or just ask your grandmother...

Its quite elaborate and time consuming to process sheep's fur into proper woolen clothing.
You cannot just pick the hair of the fur and make clothes out of it.
You have to comb the wool, make threads out of them. If you dont have a spindle to do that, its really taking a long time to do that.

Even if you would ignore the fact that knitting had not even been invented in the iron age, it would still take a long time to craft just a pair socks out of some yarn, probably a day or two. Not to speak of bigger pieces of cloth.

My suggestions for implementing wool-craft ingame would consider:

- Resembling knitting, you could require a character to have quite high hideworking skill, to weave or at least craft woolen items out of wool.

- Another solution could be an extra skill, like "Nålebinding(the basic textile-thread technique that was abundant in the iron age)and weaving and stitching". I think that would be quite cool and add to the authenticity of the game. But i dont know if that feature has a high priority to most of you people.

-Also i would really reward players wearing sheep FURS in winter, sacrificing some combat protection for warmth.

-perhaps there could exist an option to stuff out your shoes/boots with hay, wool or fur, as a low grade and temporary solution...   

Plotinus

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 03:53:57 PM »
I made a pair of gloves once, starting with yarn, not with a sheep. it took 8 months. I obviously wasn't working on it 8 hours a day or anything like that, but I was working on them fairly often. i made socks once, too, but I didn't keep track of start or finish dates, but I'd guess it was about 6 months.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 04:38:20 PM »
 :o

YIKES

Im building a house faster than that,(ingame)...

I think a skilled granny can do it in a week, perhaps? i'm not referring to the house lol ;D

But obviously, humanity decided that the wool is worth all the time, work and trouble...

Plotinus

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 05:38:33 PM »
A granny would have more free time to work on it, and she would probably do more stitches per minute than me as well.

I'm not sure how long it took in hours. Doing some googling I see some people say it takes them about 8-10 hours to knit a pair of socks, but they spread the time out over a week or two, and it depends on the size of the yarn, too. If you use a very thick yarn then it goes quickly, if you use very thin yarn then it takes forever.

I made mine with crochet which is usually quicker than knitting. When I was making the gloves, I kept the project with me in my bag and pulled it out whenever I had to wait for 10-15 minutes, or while I was on public transport. I don't remember what else I was working on at the time, either.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 06:13:11 PM »
If something like knitting should be implemented, you should be able to pause and resume it...

Tom H

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 06:45:34 PM »
I didn't ask for a skill. I asked for a way to use woolen scraps to form foot rags, which already exist in the game in limited amounts.

Dr.Hossa

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 10:48:06 PM »
yeah, we went a little on a different path here, sry...

i also think that a simple thing like footrags should be craftable.
bandages are also not a different thing than stripes of cloth...

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 03:58:45 PM »
There's a consensus that our characters are in need of something to fend off the cold when the warm, woolen, gloves/mittens/socks are not available. It was suggested that our characters should be able to fashion simple footwraps and the like from our woolen scraps.

Yeah, footwraps are so simple that they can be made easily. I think they could be added, and I’ll see about the possibilities. People have also used dried hay in their shoes to keep the feet warmer – that would be more authentic, but more costly to add.
- Sami | UnReal World creator