Topic: Difficulty Scaling  (Read 5978 times)

codyo

« on: November 08, 2019, 10:52:26 PM »
I believe the game would benefit from adding difficulty options during character creation. Options that will add extra challenge for those of us who want it. Without ruining the base experience for new players.
What I suggest are things that affect the entire game world such as animal spawn rates, bandit spawns, average item quality in villages, average temperature and so on. All of which intended to make the game harder only. I think it would be a fair design decision to avoid adding anything that would make the game experience easier.

Here's what the Difficulty menu should look like before you roll your character.
  • Average World Temperature( The world is becoming colder... ):
  •   Normal
  •   Cool (Base Temperature - 5 Celsius)
  •   Chilly -10 Celcius
  •   Absurdly Cold -15 Celcius
  • Bandit Spawn Rate( Outlaws are on the rise ):
  •   Normal 100%
  •   More 150%
  •   Double 200%
  • Njerpez Spawn Rate ( The Njerpez are going to war ):
  •   Normal 100%
  •   More 150%
  •   Double 200%
  • Enemy Skill ( The outlaws are well trained ):
  •   Normal
  •   Elite Raiders +20% skills
  •   Legendary Raiders +50% skills
  • Herbivore Spawn Rate( Prey is scarce ):
  •   Normal 100%
  •   Fewer 75%
  •   Scarce 50%
  • Dangerous Carnivore Spawn Rate( The wolves are hungry):
  •   Normal 100%
  •   More 150%
  • Metal Goods Cost (Iron is expensive):
  •   Normal 100%
  •   Expensive 150%
  •   Outrageous 200%
  • Food Cost (Food can't be wasted):
  •   Normal 100%
  •   Expensive 150%
  •   Outrageous 200%
  • Trade Goods Quality (Masterworks are rarer):
  •   Normal
  •   Poor
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:31:20 PM by codyo »

JEB Davis

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 12:42:40 AM »
Not bad. Seems that all of them (except Average World Temperature) have a rational justification. Could include Njerpezit in the Enemy Skill.

Ara D.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »
I would actually choose absurdly cold. I love hunting in the winter with less pressure to cook/preserve meat.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 03:52:36 PM »
I believe the game would benefit from adding difficulty options during character creation. Options that will add extra challenge for those of us who want it. Without ruining the base experience for new players.
What I suggest are things that affect the entire game world such as animal spawn rates, bandit spawns, average item quality in villages, average temperature and so on. All of which intended to make the game harder only.

Difficulty levels such as these isn't my cup of tea. To me this would mean a whole different approach to the whole game design. I'd rather tweak the game mechanics and add content to feature more of that desired difficulty, and allow playstyle choices to affect how harsh and risky character's life will be.

- Sami | UnReal World creator