Topic: crafting items would take far too long?  (Read 3628 times)

markedman

« on: October 21, 2019, 06:55:31 AM »
I'm getting a message on some crafting projects when i attempt to undertake them that it takes far too long to accomplish this task like that, it's practically impossible, but i can't figure out what the problem is!  Is it simply skill too low, not the ideal tool for the job, am i overlooking something somewhere?  tried a forum search and didn't find anything

Plotinus

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 08:43:40 AM »
It can be any of those things, but usually it's that you don't have the right tool, for example if you're trying to use a knife for a cutting weapon task that really wants an axe, or you're trying to use a stone axe to make boards (only fine stone axe can make boards)

Sometimes you are right on the cusp of being able to do it, for example you can make a wooden shovel with a stone axe but only when you get a good roll, so it's worth it to try again a few times when you get that message, just in case.

Some tasks, like wooden stakes, you can only make them 1 at a time if you have bad tools (like trying to use a knife instead of an axe)

PALU

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
As Plotinus said, it's usually because you try to use unsuitable tools. Suitable, but low quality tools typically results in poor results (i.e. low quality items), but the tasks can be performed, normally.

In addition to tools, injuries can cause issues, such as e.g. only have one usable arm for tasks that require two, and I believe starvation can weaken the character to the point of being unable to perform some tasks within a reasonable time.

It was news to me that fine stone axes actually can be used to make boards, but, on the other hand, it seems like an enormous effort is required before you'll get that axe...

Plotinus

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 02:25:43 PM »
yeah, it's really hard to get a fine stone axe.

Labtop 215

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 12:32:13 AM »
If the task takes longer than 12 hours to complete in-game then the game wont let you go through with it.  Exception being hauling items I think...