Topic: Board Inflation  (Read 9410 times)

Kaleva

« on: September 11, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
On previous edition, i used to gain easy wealth by Trading a quality splitting axe and just make piles and piles of boards.

Since some update it doesnt work anymore becouse the people answer "we already have enough boards". Good. So now i craft paw-board-traps from THEIR boards - they dont mind - and sell those back to them. Then they dont have boards anymore so i can trade with boards. Then after Trading boards to them i can make more paw-boards-traps from their boards that i traded to them.

Its Still broken.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 09:49:15 AM »
It's not exactly broken: There's a bug in that they don't recognize your theft, but apart from that, you're the one exploiting a weakness in the mechanics to do something that never would be attempted in the real world.

Labtop 215

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »
I take it the exploit is that you can sell them paw board traps in addition to regular boards?

koteko

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »
The exploit is producing paw boards from boards you have sold to them already. It shouldn't be possible.

You can still probably overflow them with paw boards obtained "legally" (eg, from newly split boards, not sold), but you need to make them one by one. So it's quite different from just splitting boards (even if you are not good, and don't have great tools, before you could cut down trees close to villages, get plenty of normal and inferior boards, trade them for arrows and then, full of arrows, go to actually do some shopping).

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:20:06 PM »
Village resource usage (eg. boards) in crafting without seemingly any reaction from villagers is indeed confusing. We probably should add that to be clearly announced mischief behaviour.

When it comes to gaining wealth with monotonous trading of single item it's now quite easy to add restrictions similar to boards. Paw-boards will end up on that list in the next patch, as it's been the next hot exploit after boards.

So, just throw in the list of items which you find exploitish due to grind trading for wealth and we'll add a reasonable wanted maximum for them in a flash.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

koteko

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »
I'd say anything craftable should be limited. Even arrows, although with a much higher cap (arrows ARE useful, and I'm sure they were too in real life).

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 11:11:03 AM »
I'd say anything craftable should be limited. Even arrows, although with a much higher cap (arrows ARE useful, and I'm sure they were too in real life).

Yep, tons of anything at all should be too much. Gotta think this carefully though, instead of setting a hard default cap for everything. Better try to shoot down troublesome stuff one by one when it comes up.

caius

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »
What does everyone think about trading a whole elk's worth of roasted elk cuts?  I don't think a village needs 200 lbs of roasted meat at once.  But that trade has been crucial for me in multiple early games.  Specifically trading the roasted cuts to get key items (such as broad knife, bow and arrows, or hand axe, etc.).

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 06:25:16 PM »
What does everyone think about trading a whole elk's worth of roasted elk cuts?  I don't think a village needs 200 lbs of roasted meat at once.  But that trade has been crucial for me in multiple early games.  Specifically trading the roasted cuts to get key items (such as broad knife, bow and arrows, or hand axe, etc.).

I think this should be restricted as well. Villagers should accept some amount of raw meat, depending on the population, but would foremostly prefer prepared (salted & smoked) meat.
Now that we have some basic chore quests in action acquiring early goods doesn't depend solely on trading anymore.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 11:59:48 PM »
I don't know, a village of people could eat a lot.  Driik village for example, especially with many children, elderly, non-hunters and non-farmers who must be fed

koteko

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
They will have stocked up a ton of produce from the fields. I think it's assumed that the meat you sell them is not extra fresh.. and if already roasted, they need to gorge on it ASAP.

Probably during winter they could be happy to receive more raw meat, so they can dry it themselves?

Ara D.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
I think that some roasted meat should be accepted, preserved meat preferred, and raw non stale meat accepted in large quantities, with the assumption that a village would be able to smoke dry salt or cook it as they saw fit.

koteko

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 09:37:16 PM »
I concur - and the game can easily check the actual spoilage, and adjust as needed (eg, would need to be fairly fresh to be accepted in large quantities).

Brygun

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 10:47:04 PM »
Query on the population representation ratio, by that I mean does 1 villager in the game truly mean a population of 1.

For the Driik (IIRC) they are supposed to have walled towns yet the game engine only puts on the map ## of them.

>>>

I support that meat is a high quantity item. So long as its not spoiled the villagers can do something with it. Checking the freshness, or how soon to spoil, if its easy to code could be done.

Villagers eating like our characters would be eating 1-4 a day. Winter is several months long, call it 90 days. That means a good stock of preserved meat being 90-360 per person in the town.

Add to that there might be travellers coming in and out or trade with other villages.

It could easily be a slow down on trade at ~200 cuts per villager and a stoppage at ~400 per villager.

Now if your character is bringing in over 1,000 cuts to a stead or more to a small village... Wow. Well done.

Kaleva

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »
Do the meat get bland when it's owned by villages?

anything