Topic: Issue using sestas  (Read 5021 times)

Kreivos

« on: September 10, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »
Not sure if anyone else have encountered this but long story short:

I'm stuck on an island. I used a raft and a sesta to get there but I can't get back because the waters are too deep this time. The tile I passed through on the big map won't let me go back the same way I came and if i zoom in I'm stuck on a single tile and can't move anywhere.

I've tried adjacent tiles and moving around while zoomed in without luck. Just can't find a path back.

I just spend weeks on another island for I went to a village to trade in the spring and while sleeping the night there the ice got too thin to cross back. I made the raft and a sesta (no means to make a paddle there) and got stuck on another island. I really wouldn't want to wait for the ice to return   ;D

For the record my character can't swim. Like at all. So close but so far.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 08:52:04 AM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:09 AM »
If it's any consolation, the ability to swim wouldn't help, as your character would probably die of hypothermia (technically it would be suffocation, as the character's limbs would stop responding, with the resultant drowning) trying to swim in freezing cold water after crossing a rather limited number of tiles.

Anyway, if you'd like Sami to take a look at it you should zip up the save folder and either mail it to him or mail a link to a storage. In addition to that, you should also describe exactly which path you used to get where you are if you can (including descriptions of whether you used the overland or zoomed in map), as that ought to make it possible for him to try to replicate the trip.

Kreivos

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »
Right, done. Thanks!

koteko

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:39:24 AM »
You could attempt to make a stone axe and then split boards and then make a paddle.. I'm not sure if that's possible (stone axe is really horrible and might make the task too long to be completed), but worth a try?

Brygun

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 05:07:30 AM »
Just a quick note BAC mod has an alternate board making route where you end up with radial boards, after making quarter logs, from half logs. Each of those steps is timed to be doable with a stone axe making it possible to get the board to make a paddle.

edit:
also you dont have to use the whole mod. I believe its under the diy_BAC_Lumber (if memory serves) and optionally (preferably) there are some related true_tile graphics. After making the boards you can remove the mod and certainly after making the paddle.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:23:24 AM by Brygun »

PALU

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 10:10:02 AM »
No, stone axes are incapable of producing boards in the vanilla game. Thus, you're stuck without a proper axe (of however poor quality), with the only chance to learn to swim and then swim away when the water is warm enough to allow you to keep your body temperature up in water (and the swimming skill high enough to allow you to reach a destination where you may eventually get an axe: note that the severe encumbrance penalties to swimming means you won't be able to bring any trade goods).

Kreivos

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 01:31:59 PM »
Thanks! I'll probably use this to get out of the mess :)

Just a quick note BAC mod has an alternate board making route where you end up with radial boards, after making quarter logs, from half logs. Each of those steps is timed to be doable with a stone axe making it possible to get the board to make a paddle.

edit:
also you dont have to use the whole mod. I believe its under the diy_BAC_Lumber (if memory serves) and optionally (preferably) there are some related true_tile graphics. After making the boards you can remove the mod and certainly after making the paddle.

Kreivos

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 02:11:49 PM »
Turned out that my timberwork skills were too low to make the radial boards with the stone axe. Ended up tweaking the DIY-file so that the stone axe was the optimal tool. Now with a paddle in hand, I'm back to vanilla. Freedom!

Thanks! I'll probably use this to get out of the mess :)

edit: