Topic: With a little help from companions. And the approaching release.  (Read 7675 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: September 04, 2019, 12:51:53 PM »
It's september. It's release month. We're making final touches, tests and preparations to allow first beta of upcoming version 3.60 to go live in few weeks - on Steam and for lifetimers, that is. It is also likely that the first beta will be released for Windows only, and other platforms will follow later on. This is because our OSX and Linux maintainer is super busy this month, and aiming for synchronized release would delay things far onto October. When the rumble starts we'll be seeing several beta versions on our way towards stable tag as there's still stuff on 3.60 to-do list.

As mentioned, the main focus of upcoming version is laid on NPCs and companions. Several new NPC/companion features have been mentioned in previous posts, and we'll hereby highlight one more big addition.

- added: companions can help you with laborous tasks thus shortening the working time

Unoccupied companions now spontaneously help you with many different tasks. Their labor input
         helps to finish the physical work in shorter time, but doesn't otherwise affect to result
         or quality of the task outcome. The help companions provide is imagined to be something they
         can do without specific tools, but the kind which makes it easier and faster to finish the work
         together.
         For example:
            When building a log wall it helps to have extra hands around for moving and setting the logs
         in place even if the player character would be the one who does the necessary carving.
            When softening the skin with beater as a final stage of tanning process it helps to have
         somebody around to check, adjust or tighten the skin if necessary.
            When setting and retrieving nets it helps to have somebody to row the watercraft.

The tasks where companions can currently help you are as follows:

* all the building tasks
         * building trap constructions
         * setting and retrieving nets
         * harvestring bark
         * tanning stages of cleaning, applying tanning material and final softening
         * crafting rafts
         * crafting leather ropes
         * crafting birch-bark containers and ropes

The tasks are 10-20% faster to perform with a companion and in many cases having multiple helping
         pairs of hands shortens the time 5-10% more per companion. However, the benefits of helpers
         is gapped at three (3) companions, so having more than three helpers doesn't shorten the
         the working time any further. It depends on the task how many helpers is the optimal number, and
         this varies from one to three companions.

Companions do help you with these tasks completely spontaneously, without any commands, if they
         are free from other chores and can reach the player character. You will be notified about companions
         helping you with specific messages displayed right after starting the task. These messages also
         tell if you are being assisted with the optimal maximum number of companions for the task in
         question. If you receive help from some companion(s), but the task would be even easier with more
         helping hands the message is, for example, as follows:
            "You get some help with this task from Ahti."
         And if you have the optimal maximum number of helpers the message is, for example, as follows:
            "Tapio, Korjus and Visa help you with this task."

Screenshot of upcoming version 3.60. Companion helps the character with setting the net.

It should be noted that the beta version will be released on Steam, and for lifetimers, and standalone (donation-based, free-of-charge) installers will follow after significantly longer time than what we have used to in the past. This is because the donation-based distribution has been receiving very marginal and insufficient support for years already, and I have to reason things out how to balance with the current distribution models. I'll be happy to answer possibly puzzled questions of relatively recent of near-future intending donors but that will have to await until next week - but don't hesitate to even e-mail if you feel like it.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

koteko

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »
This is so cool! I might finally start using companions more. Expanding the homestead would probably become a much more pleasant task, assuming one has plenty of dried meat in storage :)

It's a pity the Linux release will be delayed, but it's just a few weeks later it's fine. We are good at waiting, here in the URW crew  8)

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 06:59:31 PM »
Awesome! I was getting annoyed at these Companions who eat my food and watch me work...lol.

Mati256

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 01:12:08 AM »
Awesome! Anything that makes the NPC more involved in the game is well received. I see this as a new step towards marriage and lifetime companions.

Ara D.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:52:47 PM »
You mentioned helping to row a boat? Suggestion, can they row the boat so I can shot aquatic life, also fatigue reduction on rowing. Dreams of standing on the prow of a punt hunting for the big white seal that gave me a grievous bleeding bite to my leg (unable to stand)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
You mentioned helping to row a boat? Suggestion, can they row the boat so I can shot aquatic life, also fatigue reduction on rowing. Dreams of standing on the prow of a punt hunting for the big white seal that gave me a grievous bleeding bite to my leg (unable to stand)

Rowing/paddling aid is a bit more complex to code, especially if you'd like the watercraft to actually move to a direction while player character is doing something completely else.
But yes, this is also would be cool, so feel free to go ahead and post a suggestion at 'Suggestions'.
- Sami | UnReal World creator