Topic: With traditional movement, how do you look in a direction without advancing?  (Read 2678 times)

UniversalRanger

« on: August 10, 2019, 08:12:06 PM »
I've noticed that in traditional movement, when you press towards a direction within +-90 degrees of where you're currently looking,  the character advances to the next square in that direction also. When you look in a direction that is currently anywhere within the 180 degrees behind you, the character looks first before advancing. You have to press a second time to advance in that direction.

I thought that pressing 'x' might do that. However, pressing 'x' details only an adjacent spot that is currently visible. It does not actually cause the character to face in any direction. I wonder if this might be a mistake because this is actually a redundant inferior command to F3 that details any spot within your view that you choose, including those adjacent to you.

This was only a minor annoyance before because I like to look directly at things that I'm focusing on rather than let them remain off to the side of my current looking direction. It didn't really seem to affect anything important. Usually, I can just face somewhere behind me, and then in the direction I want to be facing. Although, if I were ever fighting multiple enemies, I would probably want to be able to face a direction that allows me to view more than one without also advancing in that direction.

I use traditional movement precisely because turning to face different directions does use up time, and there are cases where I'd prefer to not waste a movement only turning. 

However, now it seems to have become important. I'm looking at the round shield right now, and when you wield it in the high position, it cuts off 90 degrees of view. However, when you press within that cut-off 90 degrees, the character does not look first before advancing. He immediately advances as he turns to face that direction. So, now I was wondering if maybe I'm missing something.

Is there a way to face a direction without also advancing when using traditional movement?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:18:06 PM by UniversalRanger »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 09:55:20 AM »
That can be done. If you press to totally opposite direction than where the character is heading the character only turns but doesn't move.

For example:
You are facing north. Now if you press south (2) the character turns, but doesn't move. If you can press again to north (8) the character turns to north again.
- Sami | UnReal World creator